19. grudges

Emori was alive. 

But not because she had been put in the chamber and survived. Emori was alive because she had never been tested...Clarke had instead injected herself with the Luna's bone marrow. 

Before a test could even occur, Abby had destroyed the machine. It made me sick knowing that she had such little faith in the test working, that she would allow Emori to be placed in there, but the minute it was Clarke, all of her surety that it would work seemed to evaporate. 

Murphy and I had been freed shortly after this. And not long after, we had received news via the radio that Jaha, Monty and Kane had found something in Polis...a bunker. One that could fit 1,200 people, one that could save us all. 

It was a small glimmer of hope amongst the solemn mood that had overtaken everyone on the island. With no way to test the Nightblood anymore, this bunker seemed to be our only option. 

And thus, we were loading up the supplies to head back to Polis. 

I hadn't said a word to anyone aside from Emori and Murphy except for Raven, her being the only person I really wanted to talk to at this point. I could tell she was just as upset about what had been done today as I was, and therefore I felt some comfort. 

"Pass me that bin." I called to Murphy, struggling to shift around the items I already had in my hand. 

He looked up at me, giving me a small smile as he shook his head. "I've got this one." he assured, easily picking it up and motioning for me to follow him. 

I let out a sigh, the two of us making our way outside to the boat that was waiting. Luckily, the black rain had ceased, making it safe for us to venture outdoors once again...for now. 

"Here," Roan muttered as Murphy and I stopped by the docks. "I've got it." He took the items from my hand, giving me a small smile. 

I ignored him, not saying a word as I turned and began making my way to the lab to grab the next round of supplies.

"Hey, Collins!"

I paused, turning to look at Murphy who was jogging to catch up to me. "Hold up a second, will you?"

I huffed, giving him a forced smile. "Sorry. I just didn't realize how much stuff we had to load."

Murphy smirked as he finally caught up to me. "Let the others do it. They owe us, right?"

I let out a small laugh, looking up at him with a grin. "Yeah. Maybe you're right."

The smirk slowly fell from Murphy's face as a more serious. "Hey, listen." he began, scratching at the back of his neck.

"Yes?" I questioned, looking at him with an expectant look.

He didn't answer, just pulled me into a tight hug, which was shocking for quite a few reasons. The first being that I had never seen Murphy hug a single soul in the time that I had known him. The second being the fact that it was me he was hugging.

"John, what are you doing?" I wondered, my body stiff as he held onto me. 

He quickly pulled away, giving me a serious look. "Thank you, Avery. For being the only other person who actually tried to save Emori."

A genuine smile covered my face as I nodded. "I was doing it for her, not you." I teased, not even believing my words myself. Because deep down what I did was also for Murphy's sake. 

A laugh escaped his lips as we fell back into a slow walk. "So what you're saying is that you still owe me for saving your life?"

"Oh, no." I asserted. "Even if I did that for Emori, you and I are even now."