» 123 «

Proudly standing in front of the class now, Amycus Carrow's eyes scanned the room, a sick smile on his face. He nodded to himself as his gaze flew over the many familiar faces.

I wondered if it was a coincidence they had Slytherin and Gryffindor seventh years take this class together; all the people Harry was closest to in one room.

Out of all of them, I've only spoken to Neville a few times, but I knew Harry was just as good with Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas.

Lingering on the thought just for a second longer, I was certain it wasn't a coincidence.

As he stalked back and forth in front of the board, ultimately walking around the desk to lean against it and face us, he cracked a wide smile, yellow teeth showing and almost beginning to laugh out loud.

"Gotta admit," He said in his hearty accent. "'Been looking forward to this one for days. Now, I won't pretend this will be fun for you, but it sure as hell will be for me."

His voice was as scrubby as ever, raspy in the most unpleasant way.

"You and your little Harry Potter fan club," He snarled, eyes lingering on the Gryffindor students. "Where is he now? Left you here all alone; running away like the coward he is."

I involuntarily felt my hands ball into fists at the words, trying my best to stay calm. Though, all I really wanted to do was scratch his eyes out. One at a time, so the pain would linger a while longer.

But, I knew when the right moment was. And right now, all he wanted was for someone to lose their temper so he could make an example out of them. And I was conscious enough to realise that.

Not everyone was though.

"That is, until we murder him, of course."

I squeezed my eyes shut, my knuckles turning white with how hard I squeezed my own hands into fists now. Trying to take a deep breath and calm down, I swallowed my anger.

Enough of it to keep me in my seat, at least.

Unfortunately, Neville didn't have as much willpower, so only moments after, I heard a chair forcefully dragging along the wooden floor as he got up quickly.

Like mine, his hands were balled into fists. His taller figure jerking towards Amycus, though one of his friends held him back before he was able to take an actual step towards the death eater.

"You're the coward!" He spat, his brows furrowed slightly, and a hint of confusion at his own displayed bravery.

Blinded by their bloody Gryffindor bravery; the lot of them.

As expected, Carrow's smile only grew wider at the boy's action, almost like he anticipated one of them to do exactly that. He nodded, stepped a few steps away from the desk he was leaning on.

"Neville Longbottom." His name rolled off his tongue threateningly slow, his wand in his hand lifting to point it right at him.

To my surprise, Neville didn't flinch at the motion. Instead, he stood his ground, the previously displayed confusion in his face long gone. And for a moment, I almost admired him for it.

That was until a single word out of Amycus' mouth changed the whole atmosphere from a bad one into a much, much worse one.

"Crucio," He hissed, though the words rolled off his tongue almost playfully. He was enjoying this. Every single second of pain he caused was complete, and absolute pleasure for that man.

Neville fell to his knees immediately, his body twisting and contorting, trying to escape the pain.

The pain I knew all too well you couldn't escape from.