- 𝟏𝟏𝟗

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

     THE WALKERS only ever seemed to draw closer as the group struggled through the woods in a haste. carrying eugene back was also proving a task.

     "it doesn't make any sense!" jesus rasped out leaning eugene against a broken down car, "they shouldn't have doubled back like that and they definitely shouldn't have followed us all the way to the barn."

     eugene clasped his palms around his swollen limb, "i have a theory to deposit. the walkers are evolving."

     daryl turned around, finding the suggestion ridiculous, "oh, that's bullshit."

     "they're dead, they're not evolving." jesus furthered, lightly.

     rosaline's eyes scanned the woodlands, the walkers growls making her grow increasingly uncomfortable and restless.

    "being dead hasn't exactly stopped them from perambulating as Infinitum, though, has it?" the man pushed in shuddered breaths, "they're not dead in any sense that makes sense. it takes an impact to the cranium to stop them, which means the brain is still alive, degraded as it may be. if it's alive, it can change. maybe even start to remember things, too, like how to talk."

     "what?" rosaline and daryl said in unison. the brunette's brow arched as she brought rheagar closer to her, none of this made sense. back all those years ago, in the cdc, it was made clear that walkers were incapable of holding memories.

     "walkers can't have memories, it's just their hunger that drives them." rosa sighed, shaking her head.

     jesus blinked at her, "it's not any crazier than the dead being alive in the first place. if they can learn to talk, maybe they can learn strategy and how to hunt."

     aaron interrupted their exchange, jogging up to them, "they're right on our asses. we've gotta get to the horses fast."

     "you have to leave me behind," eugene urged, "i'm slowing you down and tiring you out. every time we stop the dead get closer."

     "no! we came out here to find you- we're not going home without you." jesus snapped.

     "you don't have a choice!"

     jesus slapped his air against his thigh in frustration, "it's not your call. the numbers actually work for us. we can split up." he decided, pointing to the other three, "you three get him back to the horses. i'll wait for the herd to get here, then i'll draw them off in the other direction."

     aaron didn't seem to pleased with that idea, "no, no."

     "then i'll ditch them and meet you back at the hilltop." the man concluded.

     "we're stronger together!"

     jesus shook his head, "that doesn't help us. our only way out of this is to avoid a fight."