Chapter 7- Meeting Your Enemy

My first reaction was to run fast without looking back. I heard, however, heavy steps behind me and my nemesis yell, demanding I stop.

Like hell, I will.

It only made me go faster.

I had to find that incompetent aide who left me all alone in the palace at the mercy of my nemesis. The problem was that my stamina, which belonged to a girl from society, was lacking and showed signs of slowing down.

I realized as well that, while cute, my dress was a hazard to my escape, making me lose my step every time I leapt.

Even then, I was confident in accomplishing my goal. I had surprised my enemy and was now reaching the end of the garden near one of the several entrances to the government office, where the aide was supposed to be.

Before I could ask for help, however, someone yanked my arm back with enough force to stop me and for a yelp to escape my lips. I was prepared to scream indignities at the maddening prince, even if he was still a child, when I came across a pair of silver fluffy ears, equally silver hair, and deep amber eyes.

I blinked in disbelief as I watched this well-dressed boy leading me away from the edge of the garden. Unable to process it. "I am sorry, Lady Lucreatia. But we need your help," he said, way too serious for such a young child.

The boy, not much older than me or Prince Cedric, continued to secure my arm while his prince made his way to us. His nails were sharp and I could feel them beneath the layers of fabric. Although it didn't matter, as I was nothing but mesmerized by him,

I knew only of one character with those fluffy ears, and eyes, and in such a close relationship with the Moon Prince. Wolff, the beast aide of Prince Cedric and... my favourite character.

"For a lady, you run unexpectedly fast... Thank you, Wolff!" Said Cedric with a kind smile, while he put a hand on his aide's shoulder. "You can release her."

Seeing Wolff's resistance, Cedric applied some pressure on his friend's shoulder. "It doesn't look like she will run away again. And if she did, it would be easier to catch her now." My nemesis glanced at me and grinned, though instead of a warm face, it was more like a dare.

A dangerous game that, for certain, would have not ended well for me.

Wolff released me and stepped back to allow Cedric full view. He was almost as tall as his friend. His eyes were as nerve-wracking as described in the books, two jewels that trapped light and showed a fierce will. He was exactly what he was meant to be: powerful and intimidating. Child or not. He was the son of the Moon God, sacred to his people, and I was the bastard he was meant to crush.

I could not tell how or why, but I felt it in my bones.

I didn't like this situation at all. Not one bit. It was too soon and hardly an ideal scenario. I knew how Cedric was in the book, and how the moon princes were in general. And they did not take well people who refused them. But more importantly, I knew what happened to those who wronged them. Destruction with a great deal of misery.

And because I knew, I decided it was in my best interest to keep my thoughts to myself. He was no normal child, and only one clear look was enough for me to be sure of it.

The only good thing about this shitty situation was that I was able to meet my favourite character. Or at least his younger self, as he would only take a more prominent role in the book years from now. After my death, to be more precise.

He was a half-beast and a ward of the Moon Emperor. The halflings, as some called them, were part human and part beast. Although most of the time they resembled more humans than beasts. Each was unique, and their "beast" attributes depended on their ancestry. The stronger the lineage, the stronger the half-beast.