Ice (Kara x Reader)

Snow days weren’t rare in Canada, especially when one lived as close to the mountains as you did. A tiny house in an almost empty town, most people made their entire income based on the coming and going of travellers looking for warm cabins and isolated getaways. The cold was always a given, yes. But never before had you seen the lake by your home so frozen solid.

10 inches and possibly thicker, there was ne’er a better day than now to go out skating, fishing or even playing. There was hesitance at first, but watching your next door neighbors pick-up truck drive by with a boot full of fishing poles and one too many excited Canadians killed any doubts you had.

Now, if only the same could be said for your girlfriend…

“I don’t like this!” Kara’s voice calls out to you for what has to be the tenth time. You’d shown up to invite her, Luther, Jerry and Alice to play on the ice, but had only got as far as reaching the shore’s edge when she stopped.

“Relax, Kara. It’s okay.” Luther, always calm and soft-spoken, speaks from beside you, holding the hand that Alice doesn’t have firmly fixed in your grasp. You’d lost track of Jerry but trusted him to be responsible enough to look after himself. You had bigger issues to cope with.

You’re barely 4 meters out and you can see her stressing out, hands nervously outstretched in Alice’s direction. It would be a sweeter sight if you weren’t so set on having her relax today. She was always working so hard.

“This thing is frozen solid, it’s fine.” You try to assure her, but the words fall on deaf ears as she bites her lip. You let out a soft sigh, before letting go of Alice’s hand and sliding forward, back onto the frost-encrusted grass.

“What- What’re you-” Kara begins before you take her hands, wrapped in woollen mittens, and clasp them in your own. She goes quiet, looking anxiously between you and the lake as you begin to move backwards, keeping both your balance with some effort.

“This is gonna be fun, ok?” You tell her as, with great hesitance, she puts one foot on the ice. And then the other. You smile, and move back a little more, letting her slide with you, until finally, after a slow pace, she’s out on the ice with Luther, Alice and you.

“Good?” You ask her, feet struggling just a little to keep their balance. Her eyes flicker up to yours, and you feel your breath catch, finding her looking at you with such a careful, loving gaze. Without even thinking, you let go of one hand, slipping it around her waist to hold her close.

“Yay, Kara!” Alice cheers as Luther holds her arms, letting her jump and swing as Kara offers a shaky, but genuine smile. You’re so proud of her in that moment, you don’t even notice her arms going up around your neck, till her fingertips as brushing your nape, making you shiver more than the cold ever could.

As your cheeks flush a knowing smile crosses Luther’s face. He looks out on the ice, populated by what had to be the entire town having their share of fun, and nudged Alice.

“Let’s see if we can find Jerry.” He says, taking Alice by the hand and offering a nod your way. The girl offers no more than a ‘bye!’, excitement to explore overtaking any semblance of manners her poor mother had taught her. Now gone, it was just you and Kara, hands wrapped around each other in the light snowfall.

“You should relax, they’ll be fine.” You tell her, a hand rubbing circles on her back. She sighs, leaning into you with a deep breath. Snowflakes caught in her hair sparkle, the cold seemingly doing nothing to her advanced android body. She really was perfect in every way.

“I know, I just… I just worry.” She says, the corner of her mouth turning up as you press a kiss to her temple, finger moving up gentle stroke her hair. You knew what she had been through. Her, Alice, Luther, Jerry. It was hell, and it was something you vowed, on the day you confessed your feelings to her, that you would prevent at any cost.

“I’m here,” You whisper, pressing a few more kisses against her skin. “And I won’t let anything happen to any of you.”

You feel her body loosen under your touch, arms pulling you a little closer as she leans in, brushing her nose against yours. Seeing her like this was what made every day so worth it. Calm, smiling, happy. It’s these moments that make you appreciate how lucky both of you are to have been given the chance to meet, and fall so deeply.

“I love you.” She mumbles, before bringing you into an earnest kiss. Your fingers threading in her hair and lips melding in unison with hers speak more for your affection than your words ever could.