The Influence of Liquid Luck

Patches of bright blue sky were beginning to appear over the castle turrets, but these signs of approaching summer did not lift Estella's mood. Neither she nor Harry had been successful in retrieving the memory from Slughorn, and Estella's meetings with her father were beginning to seem more and more like he was saying goodbye. Whatever he was hiding, he was making damn sure Estella couldn't' foresee it happening in a dream as all of her dreams consisted of the Astronomy Tower, a tall black cupboard, and a battle of spells in a corridor within the school. None of it was making sense and writing it down in an attempt to peace it together was unsuccessful.

"Just forget about Malfoy," Hermione told Harry firmly, saying what they were all thinking.

They were sitting with Ron in a sunny corner of the courtyard after lunch. Estella was reading a book called If I Stay while Ron and Hermione were both clutching a Ministry of Magic leaflet-Common Apparition Mistakes and How to Avoid them-for they were both taking their tests that very afternoon, but by and large the leaflets had not proved soothing to the nerves.

Ron gave a start and tried to hide behind Hermione as a girl came around the corner.

"It isn't Lavender," giggled Estella.

"Oh, good," said Ron, relaxing.

"Harry Potter?" said the girl. "I was asked to give you this..."

"Thanks..."

Harry's eyes dropped to the note. Once the girl was out of earshot he said, "Dumbledore said we wouldn't be having any more lessons until I got the memory!"

"Maybe he wants to check on how you're doing?" suggested Estella, as Harry unrolled the parchment and read aloud.

Dear Harry, Estella, Ron, and Hermione,

Aragog died last night. Harry and Ron, you met him, and you know how special he was. Hermione, I know you'd have liked him. It would mean a lot to me if you'd nip down for the brutal later this evening. I'm planning on doing it around dusk, that was his favorite time of day. I know you're not supposed to be out that late, but you can use the cloak. Wouldn't ask, but I can't face this alone.

"Oh, for heaven's sake," said Hermione.

"He's mental!" Ron said furiously. "That thing told its mates to eat Estella, Harry, and me! Told them to help themselves! And now Hagrid expects us to go down there and cry over its horrible hairy body.

"It's not just that," said Estella. "How does he expect us to leave the castle at night knowing security's a million times tighter and how much trouble we'd be in if we were caught.

"We'd been down to see him by night before, though," said Harry.

"Yes, but for something like this?" said Hermione. "We've risked a lot to help Hagrid out, but after all-Aragog's dead. If it were a question of saving him-"

"-I'd want to go even less," said Ron fairly. "You didn't meet him, Hermione. Believe me, being dead will have improved him a lot."

Estella examined the note and stared down at the inky blotches all over it. Tears had clearly fallen thick and fast upon the parchment.

"You can't be thinking of going," said Hermione, looking between Estella and Harry. "It's such a pointless thing to get detention for."

"I know," sighed Estella. "He's going to have to bury Aragog without us."

"Yes, he will," said Hermione, looking relieved. "Look, Potions will be almost empty this afternoon, with us all off doing our tests...Try and soften Slughorn up a bit then!"