chapter thirty-one

I felt a rush of adrenaline flow throughout my entire body. I knew what I had just said was risky and extremly foolish, but I couldn't stand to see him hurt anymore.

"But Tom," I paused," this doesn't mean we can be together."

I saw the smile drain from his face.

"Or right now. Last year, I was so naive with how I acted, it was embarrassing. But please don't worry about it now," I whispered.

"But Cam, I've changed. You haven't seen a single camera while you've been here," He stammered.

"I know you've changed, but I'm the one who needs time. And it's not that I don't trust you, because I do to some degree. But please, let's not have this fight right now. Okay," I said.

"Yeah, I'd rather not fight with you. I mean you're up on the roof plenty of times and in case you haven't noticed, I do not have the best balance, so you could just push me off," He muttered.

"Tomathy, you know that I wouldn't do that," I said, gently pushing against his arm.

"Sometimes I'm not so sure about that Cam," He said laughing.

"Whatever," I said rolling my eyes.

We sat on the roof for another half an hour, watching the stars and talking about the random things that had happened.

Eventually I felt my eyes beginning to close. I shot up. I couldn't fall asleep on the roof with Tommy. He would literally fall off without knowing.

I looked to my right, where Tommy lay sleeping.

I touched his shoulder gently. Seeing that he was waking up, I did it again. This time more aggressively.

"What the hell woman! Why would you wake me while I was sleeping?" He yelled, his pupils dilated.

"We're on the roof. And I didn't want to leave you up here while I went to sleep in my bed," I responded.

"Ohh, well then let's head down," He said, the harshness in his voice completely disappearing.

We made it down to my window safely. Careful to not make any noises, because my father was sleeping.

I grabbed a couple blankets that we in the living room, but when I came back to my room, Tommy was already fast asleep in my bed.

Although it felt odd that he was sleeping in my bed, I didn't really mind. He had a rough day, and I didn't want to wake him again.

I shut the window and the curtains, covering the boy with a blanket. I placed a gentle kiss on his forehead and walked out of the room, turning off the lights.

I laid down on the couch, turning the fire place on. I watched the flickering flames dance around.

They slowly lulled me to sleep.

When I woke up, I heard my father walking around in the kitchen.

"Morning pumpkin, why were you sleeping on the couch? You're bed is already set up, right?" He asked.

"Yes my bed is set up, but I was talking with Tommy last night. And I know that you hated when I would go on the roof back at home, but old habits die hard," I replied.

"You know that it scares me to death when you go up there," He muttered rubbing his eyebrows.

"I know, I know, but I like seeing everyone look so small. It makes me feel powerful," I replied smiling.

"I know, you've told me that a million times before," He said chuckling.

I wrapped myself tighter in the blanket.

"So do you have any plans with your cousin and that Tommy boy today?" He asked grabbing a muffin from the refrigerator.

"Toby hasn't said anything, but I'm sure that we'll do something fun today," I said smiling.

"Alright then sweetheart. I'm going to head over to a work meeting, but I promise I won't work at all this weekend," He said, the compassion in his voice allowing me to trust his word.

That was scary for me to trust him, but I knew that he would be true to his word.

I walked up to my room, waking in on Tommy scrolling through Twitter.

"Whatcha doing?" I asked, plopping down on the bed next to him.

"I just woke up, how do you already have the energy to get up and move?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.

"I don't know actually, normally I am pretty tired. But this morning I'm not," I replied.

We spent the next hour just scrolling through Twitter and Tik Tok. Well, the Tik Tok part was mainly me.

Whenever a video Tommy disliked came up, he would start screaming about how stupid the app was.

We walked down the stairs and ate a quick breakfast.

Immediately after we finished, both Tommy and I got a text from Toby.

We looked at each other at the same time, a look of excitement appearing on our face.

Word Count~ 822

A/N: thank you for all the support! it has truly been unreal. much more in store for the story!! <3<3<3