15.

Song of the Chapter: You Broke My Heart Again (feat. Aiko) by Teqkoi

Malory's POV

          He doesn't look the same, but I know who it is as soon as our eyes connect. I don't remember much from when my father was alive, but the one thing I do remember is his eyes; him looking down at me in my bassinet when I was a newborn.

        My mother was dead by then if I remember correctly, he killed her as soon as she gave birth. I'd like to think that he just wanted me all to himself, his way of showing love for his daughter. But we all know that's not the case. He only wanted me for this very moment; someone to do his dirty work.

                       "Everyone, I want you to meet my daughter."

       The groups of death eaters whisper amongst each other as he continues to talk about me. I feel the coldness of his hand as he runs his fingers across my face gently. Part of me wants to pull away but for some reason there's a little side of me that's grateful he's alive.

              "I would've started looking for you sooner but it wasn't the right time."

          That's a lie, he didn't come looking for me because he forgot I existed and I know it. But instead I nod my head which causes a single tear to fall down onto my cheek. When it hits his pointer finger he wipes it away.

                    "You're going to help me so much, do you understand?"

         I do understand, but that doesn't mean I want to. I'm just a child, father, don't you understand that?

               "Malory," He says while pulling my face upwards.

                 I force my lips to form a smile. "Yes?"

        He smiles and reveals his rotten teeth and disgusting breath, and in that moment I realize just exactly how fucked I am.

                  "I love you." He whispers.

Draco's POV

        Dinner ended and I waited patiently for Malory to return from the restroom, but my mother explained that she had to do something and should be back before it gets too late. I assume that means something girl related.

          While waiting for her to get back to the manor, I hear a tapping on my bedroom window. At first I just thought it was a bird, but when it continued and got more aggressive, I realized what it actually is.

                      "Open up!"

         When I pull back the curtains I see Aary and Blaise on a broom hovering right beside my window. Quickly, I open it and pull them inside.

                 "What are you two doing here?" I huff.

         Aary sighs dramatically. "Christmas at Grimmauld was awful."

        "And my mum was being a bitch." Blaise finishes the sentence.

                    I nod. "So you thought of coming here?"

          "We missed you and Mal." Aary explains. "Where is she anyway?"

                    "She's out, who knows when she'll be back."

        Aary groans while falling back onto the sofa in my room and Blaise joins her. I start pouring them drinks from the bottle Mal got me, and then I start to hear footsteps in the hall.

        "Actually, that might be her now." I tell them while opening my bedroom door.

       When I look down the corridor I see a figure fiddling with the door handle of the guest room.

                                "Mal?"

      She freezes and keeps her back to me. "What are you still doing up?"

        "Aary and Blaise decided to show up," I say. "Is everything okay? You were out for a while-"

          "I'm okay." She says in a reassuring tone. "Let me just get changed into comfortable clothes."

         I wait for her to turn around and give me a smile but instead she just goes into her room and locks the door. I let out a heavy sigh, then join Aary and Blaise once again.

        The three of us sit and talk for a little bit while waiting for Mal to return. It takes her longer than it should but eventually I hear someone opening my bedroom door.

                 "Mal!" Aary says happily.

        My head spins around in the direction of the doorway and I see Malory in completely new clothes with her arms wrapped around Aary. She looks exhausted but still wears a nice big smile for us.

           "I assume Christmas with dad wasn't the greatest?" Malory asks Aary.

                      Aary laughs. "Don't even get me started."

        The two of them walk back over to where Blaise and I sit and take a seat on the sofa. I start to hand a glass full of whiskey to Mal, but then I see her pick up the bottle.

                  "Save some for the rest of us." Blaise scoffs.

          She completely ignores him and downs as much of the alcohol as possible until she looks like she's about to puke.

           "Well then," Aary says awkwardly. "How was your guy's Christmas?"

       I wait for Mal to give her thoughts but she doesn't. I thought she'd go grab her new book and show it off, at least to Aary. I was really impressed with myself this year, but I guess she wasn't.

                          "Same as always, boring." I respond.

           "You should start inviting us then." Blaise huffs.

        If I could, I would. But my family is weird about having guests over. The only reason Malory is an exception is because she doesn't really have any family that we know of. There have been times when Professor Snape has offered to help her out but other than that, nothing.

        I glance over at Malory staring down at the liquid in the bottle.

         "Hey," I say softly while trying to get her attention. She flinches when I grab her arm but then smiles.

                             "Sorry, I'm just really tired."

        "You can go to bed if you want," Aary tells her. "We'll probably be here still in the morning."

       I see her contemplating whether or not she should leave, then she nods her head.

                    "I think I am going to get some sleep, if that's alright?"

        The three of us exchange looks, then nod. It's clear that she's tired or at least not in the right headspace right now, and I get it. We all have those moments but I wish I knew why she's feeling this way.

                "Goodnight guys." She whispers before closing my bedroom door.

         I run my fingers through my hair and grab the bottle from where she was sitting. I can still feel the heat from her hand on the glass but it quickly fades away and goes cold.