― chapter 06.

❝ did you know that my sensei kicked your sensei's ass? ❞

"WHAT THE HELL IS THIS Halloween dance I keep hearing about?" Ayane asked as she sat down at the lunch table.

Two days had passed since Ayane went to the dojo with Miguel, and she could not stop thinking about it.

"It's a dance... where we wear Halloween costumes," Demetri replied, rolling his hands.

Ayane could have reached across the table and slapped him.

"No shit," she rolled her eyes, "when is it?"

"Tomorrow," Miguel informed, consuming a spoonful of chocolate pudding.

Ayane tapped her foot, wondering if there was any way in hell her parents would let her go.

She had to admit, it sounded fun. And Ayane had never celebrated Halloween before.

"Well, what are you guys gonna go as? Wait, let me guess."

She pointed at Demetri. "Something from an obscure comic book?"

Demetri mocked her, unable to think of a comeback.

"I-I wanted to go as Deadpool, but I don't know," Miguel informed, shrugging.

Ayane frowned a little. "Deadpool? What's that?"

Miguel, Demetri and Eli all gave her a look.

She glanced between all three of them. "What?" she snapped.

"We have got to teach you some culture," Miguel sighed, shaking his head. "Deadpool is only the coolest antihero ever."

"No, that's Catwoman," Demetri replied.

And for the next few minutes, Miguel and Demetri argued over superheroes until the guidance counselor came into the cafeteria to make an announcement.

She said something about a kid with a facial deformity being bullied, as if she couldn't have made it more obvious.

Ayane glanced over at Eli, seeing him staring at the table. She wanted to drop kick every single prick laughing at him.

And then the counselor mentioned the dance, and something about how the costumes should be appropriate and culturally sensitive.