Chapter 30

*RECOMMENDATION: Listen to the song "Lady in Red" by Chris de Burgh (attached above) as it is playing in this chapter*

It had been a week since the incident with James, and Christmas had finally came. Elsie, who was trying her best to cope with the lingering thoughts of being intimate with her best friend, was in her room the morning of Christmas making sure she had all of her gifts in order. She had already owled Marlene, Alice, and Lily their gifts throughout the week so she didn't have to worry about theirs anymore. The Marauders were all going over to James' house for the Potter's annual Christmas dinner and she planned on giving them their gifts then. Her parents' gifts were already under the Christmas tree. And currently, she was getting her last two gifts ready to be owled out.

Elsie carefully placed each colorful friendship string bracelet in a separate box while copying the exact same note for each person...

If you're ever feeling lonely, here's a reminder that you'll always find a friend in me. You're not alone, even if you feel like you are...
~Elsie

She chuckled knowing the two boys wouldn't wear them, but it's the thought that counts. Even if they weren't the most liked and outgoing people, they had the biggest hearts and just needed a little love. So, she closed the boxes and tied them to her dad's owl, who she had been using to send out her gifts. After telling the bird who they were for, she watched as the owl fluttered away before making her way down to open gifts with her family.

As soon as she came down the stairs, she ran over to the couch that her parents were sitting on and placed a kiss on both of their cheeks. She smiled widely and exclaimed, "Happy Christmas!"

Elsie took the seat in between her parents as her dad ruffled her hair and chuckled, "Happy Christmas, little lady. I'm guessing you want to open presents?"

"Well, of course," She began teasing her parents in a joking manner, "Why else would I want to be sitting next to you two?!"

Her dad laughed as her mum playfully rolled her eyes and looked at her husband, "She's definitely your daughter."

"I would hope so," Duncan winked at his wife while getting up and walking over to the Christmas tree. He picked up each present and placed them in front of the person they were for, as he did every year.

"Little lady, why don't you open yours first," he suggested while beginning to jokingly pout, "It seems like you have the most."

"I swear I married a 5 year old," Arabella laughed out loud while walking over and sitting on the ground next to her husband and in front of her daughter, "Go on, Sweetheart."

Elsie excitedly tore through all of the presents that she had gotten with a huge smile on her face. Lily had gotten her a beautiful, small wooden kneazle figurine, Marlene gave her an empty bottle of fire whiskey decorated with lights and flowers so it could be used as a lamp, and Alice had given her a cute little flower crown with a note saying that she made it all by herself. From her parents, she had gotten a book of defensive and offensive auror spells and a muggle record player similar to the one she bought Sirius.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She screamed while hopping onto the floor in front of the couch and pulling her parents into a tight hug.

Arabella chuckled at her daughter before pulling out of the hug and going back under the tree. She grabbed four more hidden gifts and placed them in Elsie's hands, "Here, these are for tonight."

Elsie carefully unwrapped the first one. It was a rectangular box with a note resting on top of it. She picked up the note and read it in her head.

To make my son realize what he's missing out on...
~Euphemia