21. sisters

-the before-

There were a lot of good memories shared between Octavia and I in the years we'd known each other. But there was one in particular that stood out to me now, one that I couldn't help but smile at.

"Hey, Aves?" Octavia asked from her bunk in our small Skybox cell.

I shifted in my own bunk, setting down the book in my hand and turning so I could look down at her for a moment. "What's up?"

A small grin spread across her face as she looked up at me. "You know that brother of yours?"

I let out a small laugh, "Yeah, I think I might know a thing or two about him."

"Is he hot?" she questioned, trying-and failing- to hide her laughter.

I rolled my eyes, flopping back down on my bed. "I'm not answering that." I muttered, picking my book back up for a moment.

"Oh, come on!" she begged, pulling herself from her punk and stepping up so she could see me. "Just answer the question."

I set the book down, looking over at her with raised brows. "Is your brother hot?" I fired back at her.

Octavia gagged. "Bellamy? Well, he's never brought a girl home, what's that tell you?"

"It tells me that he was afraid of getting you caught." I challenged. "Maybe he has had girlfriends that you didn't know about."

Octavia scrunched up her nose, pulling herself up onto my bunk with me. "Doubt it."

I grinned, pulling my legs toward my body to allow her to sit down. "Give the guy some credit." I laughed.

Octavia's smile faltered slightly as her tone turned more serious. "I wish you could meet him." she whispered. "I think you two would get along."

A warm smile came to my face. "If he's anything like you, then yeah, I think we would."

My best friend looked up at me, her eyes slightly watery. "I'm really glad I met you, Aves."

I felt my own eyes begin to water as I stared back at her. "I'm just as happy that I met you, Tavia. I seriously don't know what I would do without you."

She looked down, giving her head a small shake. "I don't want you to leave me." she whispered.

Octavia was a year younger than me, meaning I would turn eighteen before her. When that happened, I would be floated and she would be left alone until she herself turned legal age to be floated.

"Let's not think about that right now." I suggested, both for her sake and my own. "Why don't you tell me more about that brother of yours?"

Octavia let out a squeal of surprise. "No way!" she argued. "You still haven't my question about your brother."

"You're right." I grinned. "And I never will."

-the now-

"Octavia!" I called, running after her as she made her way toward the exit.

She turned and looked at me, her face breaking in relief as she stopped walking. "I thought you were standing me up." she breathed.

I grinned as I shook my head. "Never." I asserted, the sounds of the commencing of the Announcement Ceremony could be heard leaking in from outside.

I had promised Octavia that I would come see her before she went up and was officially named the representative for Skaikru. I further maintained that I would stay with her right up until the last moment.