Chapter 25

I'm freaking out.

Literally. Freaking. Out.

Nothing new for me, honestly. I'm always going insane over something.

But never about meeting somebodies parents.

Mr. and Mrs. Dominguez.

Yeah, so I'm shitting fucking bricks right now.

When I got off the phone with the source of all my disdain this morning; Kayden motherfucking Dominguez, he assured me it's a dinner party and not so very intimate. I might not even meet his dad because the man'll be busy mingling around with his guests, it's not a ceremonial dinner. It's not a buffet either, it's more of a... gathering?

And I am fucking glad about that.

Oh, and Joshua will be there. And Cassie. So that subsides the nerves a tad.

Just a tad, though.

I still don't know why I'm even going to this thing. Or why Alexia was so dead set on having me there. She was a sweetheart, that much is true, but... she doesn't even know me.

Did it stop me from getting her a bag of my favorite hair products?

Nope. It absolutely didn't.

I mean, what the fuck do you bring to this kind of grouping? A bottle of wine? Cognac as old as my great-grandparents? A box of Cubans? Bonbons?

It's not like I'm trying to kiss ass. I was just doing my hair and the idea popped up. I thought she'd appreciate it.

I still do.

I know Kayden will laugh and tell me it wasn't necessary but I'll just stump him over the head with some fruity smelling bottle in the bunch.

Me and the asshole are definitely on good terms again.

I don't think we were ever not on good terms. I just needed to collect myself for a moment.

He was stuck at the office all day yesterday. According to him- his new clients were real pains in the asses- so we barely spoke. He called me the second he left the building though.

I don't know how I feel about all this interaction we're having.

In my mind, I know that we've established a good, sort of comfortable friendship. But the thing is that my mind isn't sending the same message down to my heart that flips somersaults just hearing his voice. Yeah, it's a constant battle. One I'm afraid I won't be able to win.

''HELLOOOOO!'' Soyana's voice blasts from my living room, interrupting my sulking under the heavy covers of my bed.

What the fuck?

My door burst open and the little Malibu barbie ambles in as if it's her own. ''I've been calling you all night, where the fuck have you been?''

''Probably talking to Kayden,'' that would be Nara, following up behind her.

Okay, now I'm really confused. How in the fuck did they just barge in here like this?

''I was taking a nap, thank you very much,'' I disclose, feigning wit into my tone.

''It's a Saturday night in august and you're taking a nap?'' Ivana strolls in, dropping the variety of shopping bags she was holding in some corner.

''Sometimes I wonder if you've realized you actually live in LA instead of the suburbs,'' Jenn speaks around a bite of the donut she's bearing.

I fucking wish I lived in the suburbs.

''Not that I'm not totally ecstatic to see you guys,'' I muse, looking around the room. ''But what are you doing here?''