thirty eight

Evie's view:

I packed up the last of my things from my classroom. Sighing as I looked around the room with a bit of sadness in my heart.

My dream of being teacher was coming to a small halt for now while I explored new opportunities.

After the circulation of provocative photos of me was sent out to the staff. I began receiving unnecessary comments from parents and co-workers.

I intervened when Valentina wanted to fight back because it was ultimately my choice.

I chose to do the photoshoot and I wasn't ashamed of it. I was just tired of being ridiculed for it by the conservative parents and faculty members.

It was now June and school was already out.

The twins had just turned 7 two weeks ago, and Sophia had been released from the hospital in April.

She was sent home with Valentina but still had physical therapy to attend to and weekly dialysis.

So far everything was looking out to be great for her in the end. There was also no more scares of her randomly not breathing at night.

I hadn't moved into Valentina's penthouse just yet either but we both seemed to be okay with that.

Oddly enough, Valentina was way more okay with it than I liked.

Recently her behavior has been off and secretive. But nothing to worry about considering how giddy she'd get when I asked her where she was or why she would always stare at me more.

Today she insisted we have some alone time while Addie, Hannah and Baylor volunteered to babysit the girls.

Another big change in our lives was that my friends had also become closer to Valentina.

However, Baylor and Valentina still seem to have their stand off moments. The stand off attitude mostly coming from Valentina though.

Baylor just liked to mess with my fiancée knowing it'd get me into trouble later on.

Not that I cared..

After putting my things away in my car I texted Val letting her know I was on my way to her work, where we agreed to meet up.

I brushed off my dress and fluffed my hair a little more as I checked my reflection in the rear view mirror.

I heard a knock on my window and I jumped with a scream seeing who was outside.

"Dammit, Val." I opened the car door and stepped out with my tote bag in hand, locking my car behind me.

"Don't do that! I thought you were some psycho," I mumbled hitting her arm gently.

Valentina laughed and wrapped an arm around my waist as she led me to her car. Looking down at the watch on her wrist.

"Sorry, my love. It's just funny to see you get scared so easily," she teased unlocking and opening up the passenger door to her car.

I rolled my eyes and got inside.

Valentina drove us out of the city while we held hands, resting our arms on the console in the middle.

"Where are we even going? You never told me," I asked rubbing my thumb against the band of her ring while I stared at the deserted grasslands.

"It's a surprise," was all Valentina said as she turned down another long empty road.

I sighed with a pout and waited patiently.

Smiling every so often as we passed cows and horses that were grazing in open lands.