Chapter 15

NAOMI'S POV:

There was a hidden window nook in the far end of the east corridor that provided a chiefly view of the long driveway that led to the entrance gate in front of the building. In fact, the driveway was so flexibly bent and extended that it was almost symbolic of every students journey out of here. But today was a victorious day for one of the students as I watched him walk out of the building, folder in hand and greeted by a warming hug from an older woman.

When I first heard the news that my parents would not be returning, I would sometimes sneak out of my room and sit here throughout the night since the Administrators do not patrol the east corridor. Just dreaming of getting in my parents old Ford fusion and leaving this place.

"You really want out of here, don't you?" Mackenzie asked as she leaned against the corner behind me.

"Huh? Do you not want out of here?" I asked snidely.

"Um, I don't really care...it's not like home is much better, at least at the Academy you have supervisors who somewhat care." She shrugged her shoulders and sat across from me.

"You don't think your parents care?" I pried.

"I know they don't," She hugged her thighs to place her chin on her knees. "do you know how I got sent here?"

"How?"

"My parents were given the pamphlet after meeting with my principal, then they found out that they could renew my stay so long as they paid for tuition." Mackenzie's face softened, reminiscing in painful thoughts. "They'd rather pay then keep me at home."

"I'm sorry to hear that." I patted her shoulder, not really sure what to say in this moment.

I know I'm not the only one in the Academy who has family troubles and I know that this is the primary reason why half of the students at Braxton are in attendance but I can't help but believe that being forced to leave behind a warming family is worse than escaping a painful one. Like I said before, my family was well-knit and very close, we seldom had troubles or arguments. And even though I feel for Mackenzie's situation, if what she says is true then I think ultimately she will find more solace in her being here.

"So, if I do get out, then it would be a nice surprise...but if I don't then it doesn't matter."

We made eye contact, both emphasizing our conflicting view points of leaving the Academy but understanding our incompatible situations.

"Wait! Wait, Mr. Davis!"

We heard a shrill voice holler from down the hall. Simultaneously turning our heads, we saw the youngest student Katie being forcibly taken down the hall by Mr. Davis. By the perturbed look on her face, she in for a horrifying punishment.

"Come on, we better make ourselves scant." Mackenzie motioned me down the stairs. ____________________________________________________________________

MR. DAVIS'S POV:

I gripped Katie's hand tightly to prevent her from wandering off or escaping. For as young as she is, it's not surprising that she often refuses being punished but she is definitely not the worst I've encountered in all my time here. I was once punched in the face by a male student who proceeded to run after the assault.

"Please! I didn't mean to...!"

"Katie," I took her other hand and knelt down to her height. "enough. Calm down or otherwise you will make this much worse."

"But..."

"No, don't object." I waited until she seemed to have processed the message, which she conveyed through closing her eyes and slightly nodding. "Now stand here while I unlock my office, if you try to run you'll feel my belt."