43

i'm on my way to kill a werewolf

"YOU KNOW, IT'S REALLY NOT THAT BAD ANYMORE," Athena pushes Damon's prodding hands away from her shoulder, glaring as the vampire followed closely behind her.

"It's still not healing, Athena," Damon grits his teeth. "It should've healed by now because of your thing."

She turns to look at him over her shoulder, raising a brow at his phrasing. With a sigh, she continued back up the stairs to her and Stefan's room, doing her best to block out Damon's nagging and wonder if Elijah was going to follow through on his word. "I don't really have this whole goddess thing on lockdown yet, so I don't know what triggers my healing abilities and what doesn't."

Damon sighs, pushing his hair off of his face. "Well, what triggered it before? Do we need to break a bone, or crush a lung– I mean, what's going to get rid of the bite?"

Athena shakes her head. "I don't know. When we got thrown in the basement during the council's raid, I was burned by the fire, but by the next day, it was gone with no scarring. Stefan wrapped it up and babied me all night, but I was fine."

"Maybe that's it, then. It's a you thing," He shrugs, clapping his hands together. "Maybe you don't let yourself heal until you know everything's safe and over with."

She narrows her eyes at him. "What does that mean?"

He shrugs, already sensing the dangerous territory he's stepping into. "You've been pacing for the last four hours because you won't know if Elijah followed through with his end of the deal until Stefan is here in one piece. Which, by the way, once I'm sure you're not actively dying, I've got a lot of questions as to what your mental state was when you made a deal with the guy who's tried to kill us all on multiple occasions."

"Listen, I know what I'm doing, Damon. I'm a lot smarter than any of you idiots, including your brother!" Athena nearly throws herself down onto her bed but stops herself as her shoulder throbs in pain. "Elijah is trustworthy, okay? I promised him I wouldn't touch a hair on Elena's stupid little head, so long as he got Stefan out of the tomb, and we made a mutual agreement to trust one another. Why is that so hard to understand?"

"And you think he's going to go through with it?" Damon questions, earning a slight shrug from the girl. "Why does he want Elena safe so badly?"

Athena scoffs. "You know, I could ask you and Stefan the same thing. I still don't know why we can't just let Elijah ship her off to wherever the hell Klaus is hiding out, and just kill Katherine. No more doppelgängers, no more problems."

Damon groans, practically falling into the chair at Stefan's desk. He rubs his face tiredly, trying to remember when he last slept. Vampires didn't need it so to speak, but he also wasn't hopped up on human blood at the moment which drained him of energy quickly. "I was trying to do the right thing. Moral compass aside, Elena's pretty much innocent. Every wrong thing she's ever done is so human it's almost disgusting."