chapter twelve - introductions

Teddy’s eyes went wide at the knowledge that they had been witnessed - by his own cousin! He dramatically pushed Augustus away from him and turned to the girl. At the sudden movement, Augustus tripped over a stone behind him and struggled to maintain his balance.

“Are you going to introduce us then, Teddy?” Diana’s voice gave no hint of what she was feeling. In truth she had no qualms about such matters, however, she enjoyed watching her cousin squirm under her stare.

“Y-yes. This is - Diana - This is Augustus Montagu he is a dear friend of mine-“

“Mmmn that I can see,” Diana couldn’t help herself. The urge to make a sarcastic retort was just too strong. “Go on,” she said when Theodore looked at her nervously.

“Augustus, this is my cousin Miss Diana Bridgerton.”

Augustus took a step toward her and captured her hand in his own. Bowing, he lightly kissed it and then looked up at her flirtatiously.

“It is a pleasure, my Lady,” came his seductive tone.

‘What a horrendous flirt!’ Thought Diana, although her response was a little less rude.

“The pleasure is all mine, Sir. Now, let us get to the point,” she turned to face Theodore, “I assume this-“ her head nodded toward Augustus, “-is the reason why you felt so reticent about the prospect of marrying Miss Lambe last year?”

Teddy blushed profusely.

His response came as little more than a whisper, “that would be correct, yes.”

“Well, I am glad that the matter is finally settled. I thought you just didn’t like gingers. Now, I am sure you have enjoyed your experience of the ruins, however, I am rather tired and should like to go to bed. Mr. Montagu?” She held out her hand for him to take.

Augustus had certainly not expected such acceptance from a Lady of London society and was quite frankly astonished at her lack of response.

“Of course my lady,” he uttered with some force, “lead the way!”

Watching as they wandered off back Othello’s carriage, Theodore Blake was overwhelmed with emotion. Relief? Fear? Tiredness? He could not tell.

The journey back to the hotel was a quiet one. Diana Bridgerton seemed rather enraptured in her novel - Robinson Crusoe - and did not feel particularly inclined to engage in conversation.

Whilst her chosen silence was nothing more than a desire to enjoy her book, the two gentlemen sat opposite her found it to be most unnerving.

In fact, it was not until they had departed the carriage and made their way to the front steps of the hotel that Diana finally chose to speak.

“Perhaps you might like to join us for our sightseeing tomorrow, Mr. Montagu? We have much to explore but I should gladly appreciate the company. Teddy here can be something of a bore - especially after you’ve been stuck with him for several weeks.”

Theodore Blake shifted uncomfortably and pulled at the collar of his jacket.

Augustus merely smirked at the comment.

“Indeed?”

“Yes. So what do you say, shall we expect your company?”

The young man glanced slyly at Theodore - although not so slyly that Diana did not notice. “I’ll be here no later than eight o’clock, my Lady.”

Diana made a sound of disapproval.

“If you arrive at such a time as that then I’m afraid you will be much too late to join us. Seven or not at all.”

Augustus’ eyes shot open in horror. It was evident that he was most certainly not a morning person.

“Yes well my lady, I shall endeavour to make it in time.” With that, he excused himself and bid them all good-night.

Upon his departure Diana turned to her cousin with a smile.

“Well, I find him most charming Theodore. You could certainly do much worse.”

*****

My dearest readers

You will see that this is a rather short chapter - I promise I will make them longer one day. Our little quartet will not be staying in Rom for much longer I am afraid - no, indeed, they have other places to visit I think.

Yours truly

Valentina R