Prologue - Gisela/Sophie

Gisela

Project Stellarlune was a go.

She slightly regretted calling it a "project," since that reminded her too much of Project Moonlark. But she'd been planning this far longer than the idiotic Black Swan have been planning their idiotic project.

And the moment had finally come. The moment where the plan could be put into action.

It was glorious.

Gisela hoped—knew—her son would fall right into her trap.

He was foolish like that.

Keefe and his petty little moonlark would get tricked easy peasy. Just like they always did. Gisela was sure of that.

First, her son would foolishly abandon his friends, claiming he was just trying to make sure nobody got hurt. This alone was ridiculous. Sometimes Gisela wished he'd be able to see the power and glory he'd get from joining her cause.

But Keefe being Keefe, he would try to kill two birds with one stone and figure out the mystery of Ethan Benedict Wright II in his time in the Forbidden Cities.

The moonlark would follow.

And they'd both fall right into the trap, like two neatly wrapped boxes of Prattles Pins. Gisela knew this would happen, though when Gethen spoke from the other side of the hideout they currently inhabited she was admittedly surprised.

"The moonlark has destroyed our Lodestar storehouse," he told her, looking down at the security feeds. "She burned it down."

***

Sophie

Why was she even bothering.

Nothing mattered. Everything was gone.

She had thought things were looking up. The storehouse burning had given her hope, made her realize that if they fought back, maybe they'd win. Just maybe.

But... the letter.

The letter drowned any spark of hope that had flickered inside Sophie. Made her realize the cold, hard truth. Made her want to take a sedative and never get up again.

He—Lord Hunkyhair, That Boy, Keefe—had left. Possibly for good.

Going. Going. Gone.