[42] Homesickness

Hisoka was the bane of your existence.

To his credit, he wasn't trying to fight you or kidnap you, but you didn't appreciate being followed around by your least favorite person in the world. "Don't you have better things to do? Younger children to stalk? Balloons to hand out?"

Despite your ranting, Hisoka seemed amused by your annoyance, easily keeping in step. "I already told you I'm not going to do anything to you, [N/n]," he promised. The predatory gleam in his eyes, and the way he smiled, though, made you wonder otherwise. Hisoka was not to be trusted, and you weren't stupid enough to believe anything he said.

Huffing, you had sent a text to Kurapika to let him know you were being stalked by Bozo the Clown. Hisoka had definitely noticed it, you weren't discreet about it, but he said nothing. Eventually, Kurapika had texted back only to tell you that Hisoka wasn't going to try anything and he was involved in the meeting.

Great. You were getting whiplash from Hisoka constantly changing sides.

"I hope you know I hate you."

Hisoka merely smiled and shrugged, continuing to walk. "I know~."

God, you hated your life.

"Freecss?"

You and Hisoka turned around at the same time, meeting heterochromatic eyes. Instantly, those eyes widened in recognition of Hisoka, and before anything could happen you jumped forward, right in front of Shouto.

"Nonono, he's not bad right now! We're going to meet up with Kurapika and Hawks!" Unsurprisingly, Shouto looked unconvinced. Considering his last encounter with Hisoka had been right after the fight with Stain and had almost ended in your kidnapping, you didn't really blame him. "Anyways, what are you doing out? Why aren't you at the mall?"

Shouto's eyes flickered back and forth from you to Hisoka, conflicted. ". . . I didn't go. I went to visit my mom instead, and now I'm going to get soba."

"A-ah...."

This felt very awkward, and unsure of what else to do, you gave Shouto a strained smile. "Um, do you want to come with us?"

. . .

For a moment, all three of you were silent, and Shouto slightly shuffled to the side before nodding curtly. "If only to make sure he doesn't try anything." It was cute to think that you and Shouto together could hold up against Hisoka, but you figured the teen could do without the blow to his ego. Instead, you relaxed, grabbing his hand to tug him forward and missing the blush that scattered across his face.

"Your quirk... You can control both fire and ice?"

"Hisoka, shut the fuck up."

About a ten minute walk later, you were standing in the lobby of the Shangri-La Hotel - Kurapika had texted you a room number to go up to - why did he get a hotel room? It made no sense. The secrecy was making you feel somewhat anxious, and as if Hisoka could sense that nervousness, his grin grew wider. He hadn't said anything, but you couldn't help but tell him to shut up again, looking over at Shouto.

"Hawks and Kurapika are up there, so we'll be fine." You weren't sure if you said that to reassure yourself or your friend more.

Taking the elevator up, soon the three of you were standing outside of an unassuming hotel room door, and after double-checking your phone to make sure you were at the right room, you knocked twice.

After a quick moment, the door creaked open, the familiar face of Kurapika taking you all in before opening the door wider. From the back, you heard Hawks call out to Shouto, but none of it mattered as you locked eyes with somebody you hadn't seen in months. He still looked the same, as bright and cheerful as ever, and you felt your eyes tear up.