13 | sweet delights

13 | sweet delights

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

When Matteo told me to take some time to think about his offer, what else could I do but just that? The next morning, I gave myself a tour of Spain's port city.

After walking around Valencia for some time, my feet stop me in front of a cute café with outside seating.

Stepping in, I send small smiles to those sat around tables and make my way to the counter where a cute girl is stood behind. She has a nose ring and warm, olive skin. She looks to be about my age but with a lot more freedom.

Sigh.

"Hola, querida," She greets, a smile wide on her face, "Bienvenidos a Sweet Delights. Como estás?"

"Muy bien, gracias. Y tú?" My accent must've been so bad that, immediately, she can tell I'm American. This just seems to be a constant, I guess.

"I'm well, señorita. Is this your first time here?" She questions, eyes running up and down my face.

I snicker, scanning the treats behind the display glass, "Is it that obvious that I'm American?"

She giggles and brushes her hair behind her ear, "I'm not one to bash Americans but, yes."

I laugh at her words but shrug, "Point taken. Could I get some french toast, please?" I motion to the tray of delicious powdered sugar covered french toast behind the glass.

"Coming right up. You can take a seat wherever you like." She announces and types it into her register. She leaves for a moment, allowing me time to scan the café. Despite the floor to ceiling windows letting in a significant amount of light, the decorations were quite quaint — doilies covering tables and a bright neon sign hanging from one of the walls.

It's eccentric, to say the least.

I take a seat by the window and pull my phone from my pocket. Part of me expected a text or a missed call from a certain someone but all I get is an empty screen and a Twitter notification.

I run a hand through my hair and roll my eyes. I should've expected it — he did say he was gonna give me space. I just didn't know how much.

A relationship.

He wants a relationship with me, yet won't tell me if he's a good man or not. And I'm not taking his shit about him being a 'reformed person' because that's just bullshit. Any man can say that and think they can get away with it.

Not him, though.

He picked the wrong one.

"You again?" The familiar voice rings in my ear. Looking up, I see the blond man from last night is stood in front of me, a cup of coffee in his hand.

I send him a fake smile, "Me again. Santiago."

He huffs out a laugh, "You remember my name?"

I tilt my head, "Was I not supposed to?"

"You didn't seem all that interested last night, what with you walking away and all." He explains, before sipping from his cup, "I also expected Matteo would be by your side today, but I assume a lover's spat is the cause of your lonesomeness today."

I try not to roll my eyes so hard they fall out of my head but his assumption is enough to make me scoff, "Matteo and I — we're not —"

"Ah," He nods, "So I assumed wrong."

Biting the inside of my cheek, I try not to let his words get to me, but honestly, I don't know what he's supposed to be doing. I rest my phone on its face and cross my legs, "What are you doing here, Santiago?"

He holds up his coffee cup and looks around, "I'm getting breakfast or has Matteo told you that I don't eat?" I open my mouth to speak only for him to continue, "You know my name but I don't know yours."

I learned it against my will, but oh well.

"It's Monique." I tell him. "Let's hope I don't regret telling you that."

Santiago scoffs in amusement, "I'm not as bad as you think, Monique." He winks teasingly. "I actually wanted to know your name before I invited you out to dinner with me." Wait — "Now that I know you're not with Matteo, surely, you'd be free for tonight."

I pause. What the hell? "Uh, I'm sorry. This isn't — I'm not —"

"As friends, Monique." He elaborates and sends me a smile, "Strictly friends."

WHEW ANOTHER ONEEEEEEEEE - and another one finna come out in like an hour (watch it be like three weeks)

shout out to my good sis complacent for helping w this and the next chapter 😭😭 a real one 🤞🏾

chileeee, lemme go do these chores before my momma beat my ass lmfaoooo