6

I was no longer tied down to the bed. My arms laid at my sides, too numb to be moved much more than a little jerk. I could barely feel my legs. My heart was beating quickly in my chest, despite the disoriented feeling I felt. I opened my eyes but it looked like the room was spinning so I closed my eyes once more. An oxygen tube was taped to my face, sending little bursts of oxygen every few seconds.

The door opened but I couldn't move to even see who it was. I didn't even care.

"You did so well, Lyla." His voice was soft and quiet as it approached me. A hand brushed against my cheek before stopping in my hair.

I turned my head in the direction of the person but couldn't open my eyes.

"You need a little more time to recover, baby. Let us handle everything and you just get some rest." The hand left my hair and a small whimper escaped my lips, sounding more high-pitched than I was expecting.

He chuckled before leaving the room, the silence filling his place again.

---

I was much more coherent the next time I woke up. I opened my eyes almost immediately and glanced around the room. It was the same one Alex had drug me into earlier. However early that was.

A machine stood beside the bed I was in, beeping every few seconds. I turned my head and watched it, seeing my heart beat as I breathed. It was relaxing, comforting.

I pushed myself up and something definitely wasn't right. My hands were too small, my body was too small for the bed I was in. I kicked the blanket off and I couldn't believe what I saw.

My body wasn't normal. It wasn't right. It was too small. I sat up and slid off the bed, trying to stand and walk to the door. My legs shook before giving out and I ended up on my hands and knees.

Tears filled my eyes and I pulled on the oxygen tube until it fell to the floor in front of me. I pulled the IV out of my arm with a quick tug, crying out as it pinched my skin.

The door opened and a woman stepped into the room. She had scrubs on and white tennis shoes. Her dark hair was pulled back from her face. She knelt down in front of me and picked me up in her arms.

I tried pushing away from her, not liking that she could so easily pick me up. It wasn't right. It shouldn't have been happening. What the hell was happening?

She started bouncing me in her arms, whispering softly into my ear. "Baby, it's okay. I know it's scary in here. Do you want your bunny?"

I looked behind me at the bed and saw that bunny wasn't there. I couldn't remember where I'd left it and panic started to fill my head. I wanted it. I needed it to feel comfortable. I needed something to make me feel safe.

"I'll see if we can find it for you." She started carrying me back over to the bed but I shook my head quickly, momentarily stopping her.

"N-no. I don't want to stay in here." My voice was much higher than it had been, making me sound like a completely different person. It made me cringe just hearing it.

She patted my back. "You're safe here, sweetie. You don't have to be afraid."

I squeezed my eyes shut and hid my face in her shoulder. I didn't feel safe. I couldn't trust anyone after what happened to me. Alex betrayed me time and time again. He ruined my life on more occasions than I could count. The people in Alpine weren't looking out for my best interest.

"Alex, can you meet me in Lyla's room?"

I whimpered. The last person I wanted to see was Alex. I didn't trust him one bit after what he'd done to me. I knew I needed answers and needed to talk to him, at some point. But I wasn't ready for that yet.

I didn't want to know.

---

Alex is back. And, oh boy, it's not a good thing. I really like writing this story and the characters. Alex is becoming one of my favorites. Who is your favorite so far?