[ f o r t y ]

f o r t y
a  g a m e  o f  c h e s s

THEY WERE STANDING QUIETLY IN THE ELEVATOR

Allison and Amelia weren't exactly in excellent terms, and Amelia thought that in moments like these, when they are alone, they would be fighting each other until one of them apologizes to the other.

But the sheriff was there too, I'm having a girl fight in front of an officer, in the middle of the elevator, in a hospital.

It wasn't really a good idea.

But the two were thinking about it. Decided to say nothing.

"You know what," talked the Sheriff, breaking the silence. "I don't know how you guys do it," he whispered before looking towards Amelia. "You're all so strong." He glanced towards Allison. "You're fearless. Hell, you even manage to keep your grades up." Amelia chuckled.

"I'm failing Econ," Allison added.

The sheriff sighed. "Is that Coach's class?" Allison nodded. "Well, I'll have a talk with him."

Amelia raised her eyebrows. "I'm failing chemistry." The sheriff looked towards her and she exhaled before looking at Allison. "Hey, Ally..."

She was sobbing, looking down.

Amelia proceeded to stop the elevator and walk towards the girl, placing her hands on her shoulders.

"I'm not..." she whispered, looking down to her feet. "Fearless." Allison looked at Amelia, her eyes turning watery slowly. "I'm terrified." She was weeping. "I'm always terrified... I... I act like I know what I'm doing, but I don't." Amelia whipped out a tear from her face. "I don't know if Isaac is dying right now." She opened her mouth a bit, looking at Amelia. "I don't know if you hate me..." Amelia shook her head. "I don't know if I made a mistake with Scott. I don't know what my dad is thinking. I don't know if he should trust Derek, I don't... I don't know anything..."

Amelia slowly hugged the girl, feeling how Allison was crying on her shoulder as she hugged her back tightly.

"I'm scared too," Amelia whispered to her, making Allison sob. "I'm terrified, Allison... I'm terrified of going to sleep at night, but I'm also terrified of staying awake... You know, I sometimes place my ear on the wall that separates my room with Scott, and I..." Amelia chuckled a bit. "I try to fell asleep with the sound of his heartbeat." Allison scoffed against her shoulder. "Just so I know he's okay... I used to do the same with Stiles," she sobbed. "I'm scared too, Allison, I'm so scared... I'm so scared."

Amelia felt as the sheriff wrapped his arms around the two, making her laugh a bit as she kept holding on to Allison, not letting her go.

"You know what's funny?" Asked the sheriff. "You guys sound just like a cop."

Amelia smiled a bit before chuckling, and Allison did the same.

The three slowly broke apart, Amelia looking at Allison before smiling a bit.