4: This Is Me Trying

This Is Me Trying by Taylor Swift

It should have been obvious to George that Sapnap wasn't going to be able to get through to Dream. Everyone tried contacting him, even friends that don't know Dream very well were texting him. Message after message went unseen. Not one phone call was met with a 'hey' or 'hello'. It's almost like Dream fell right off the face of the earth, without a trace. George spent days calling out Dreams name. Desperately grasping onto the small shred of sanity he had left, crossing his fingers that Dream is okay, that he just needs time to think. Although six days does seem like an awfully long time to be this distant. Especially for Dream, who has been attached to George at the hip since they first met.

Are you okay?

I'm worried about you.

Please just at least let me know you're okay.

Clay please answer me, I just want to talk.

For the first few days George let Dream have his space. He promised himself that he wouldn't freak out, but that was forever ago. George sits on his phone scrolling through his contact list, searching for someone who was near Dream who could go to his apartment and check on him. A cold gust of wind rushes into George's bedroom, swirling around making him want to sink deeper under the covers. These past days George has either been freezing cold or smoking hot, it's like his body forgot how to regulate temperature. Every few hours George would get up from bed and pace around. Hoping that moving his body would distract from the constant sharp pain in his chest. It hasn't worked so far. Scrolling back to the top of his contact list and sighing deeply, George was considering giving up. His eyes widened as he remembered something, Dream had given him his mothers phone number.

Initially it was as a joke, George texted her once and it was all just for jokes. He didn't even add her number to his contacts. George sat up in bed as he opened iMessage, flicking his finger across the screen until he found the text conversation from months ago. A small sense of relief powdered George's conscience. Dream's mother only lived a few minutes away from Dream's apartment, hopefully she won't mind to go check on him.

Hey this is George, Clay's friend. I'm not sure if you remember me. Clay hasn't been answering my texts for a few days now. Do you know if he's okay?

George sent the message and powered off his phone. He felt a small amount of embarrassment texting Dream's mother, especially considering what's going on with her son and him right now. George couldn't help but blame himself, the whole reason why Dream is ignoring everyone and angry is his fault. Tears welled in his eyes, as they have been almost constantly for the past six days. For the first time in his life George didn't want a soulmate. If he had known it would hurt this much, he would've preferred to go without it. Surely Dream feels the same right now.

"Oh hello George! I do remember you!"

The dark screen of George's phone lit up, with a buzz notifying him that Dream's mom replied. George snatched his phone up quickly reading the message. She was typing another message, as the three moving dots implied.

"That's strange... Now that I think about it Clay hasn't answered me either. I tried to call him on Sunday because he didn't show up for dinner... He usually joins us for dinner on Sundays. I'm actually near his apartment right now so I'll just swing by and check on him. Thank you for letting me know George."

Under any other circumstances George would've felt his heart flutter at hearing that Dream spends his Sunday evenings with his family. But sadly all George can feel in his heart right now is dejection and regret. He hastily types out a reply to Dream's mother.

Thank you so much. Could you let me know when you see him? I just want to know he's okay.

After she agreed to inform George of Dreams whereabouts he put his phone back down and let himself take a few deep breaths of the cold air in the room. George spent the next hour reassuring himself that Dreams okay, his mom is there and she'll talk to him. She'll tell Dream to text him back. Everything will be fine. George managed to pick himself up off his bed and take a quick shower. It's been really difficult for George to have the motivation to take care of himself since Dream basically vanished. Of course Dream isn't the main driving force in George's life but having him there did make it all seem a lot more worth it. George sat in his desk chair drying his wet hair when his phone started to ring, 'Dreams Mom'.

"Hello?"

"Hi George. I just left Clay's apartment." He tried to read her voice, unravel what might be happening with his best friend. She continued, "He was really upset. He told me to leave and when I asked him what's wrong he got angry." George fixed his eyes down in his lap as though he were a guilty child being scolded. "Do you have any idea what might be going on with him?" Her voice sounded desperate, it's clear she's concerned for Dream. George swallowed the hard lump in his throat. He wasn't sure what to say, how much to spill. "I might." He spoke quietly, buying himself a few precious seconds to decide whether he would play it safe or let all the doors fly open. Being George he wasn't able to keep many details a secret from her. He confessed nearly everything. He carefully told Dream's mom about their birthmarks and how as soon as Dream found out he got upset and since then it's been nothing but crickets from the man. She listened, providing a 'mhm' or 'yeah' wherever necessary. George's gut churned as he spoke, he worried himself sick. He doesn't even know Dream's mother, what if she's homophobic or something? What if she doesn't believe in soulmates and birthmarks and all those other silly things?

His rant soon concluded and they sat in a dreadfully painful silence for a few seconds. "Are you still there?" He croaked. "What? Oh yes! I am. I was just looking at flights." George furrowed his eyebrows, "Flights?" He questioned. "Yes. I think you should come out here as soon as possible. Clay will never listen to me and since you're his soulmate I really think that you should come speak to him in person." George's head shot up from his lap, "Huh?" He could feel his throat closing up similarly to what happens when you eat something you're allergic to. Dream's mother hummed, "Do you think you could make the trip? I'm willing to pay for your ticket if you-" George jumped up from his seat cutting her off with a loud protest, "No!" He lowered his voice, "No I mean yes, I mean no." George stuttered awkwardly, taking a moment to put the words in order. Dreams mom kindly waiting.

"I can make it. I can come, I can pay for the ticket."

"Okay great! Please send me your flight details so I know when to pick you up from the airport." Dreams mother sounded surprisingly calm. Maybe it's not surprising. It just appears so to George because he feels like he may collapse at any moment due to an overload of adrenaline. Soon George was saying goodbye to Dreams mom and sitting back down in the chair to pull up flights on his computer.