Chapter 7

Katelyn's pov

Once we were inside I remembered Simon wouldn't be able to see what everything really looked like and notice Jace moving to draw the rune his arm, clearly annoyed.

"Hey Jace, it's fine, I'll do it." I spoke. The blond stopped his movements and nodded as I took my stele and drew the necessary rune on my forearm.

"I know. Trust me," Clary reassured our friend after seeing his bewildered expression. I don't know why this already seems so normal to her considering she's never physically seen someone get runed, she was asleep when the iratze was put on her.

Simon continued to freak out regardless, "She's like, burning herself! Kate what are you doing?!"

I heard Jace let out a sigh as I took Simon's hand in mine. "What is going on? Kate-" He then halted his words, the institute forming for him to see. "Where are we? What the hell... Clary, is there a war going on that I don't know about?"

"There is now."

"I think my mother's at the center of it."

"Our mother," I mumbled under my breath as I walked ahead of the group, further into the institute.

"You coming?" Jace called out to Simon even though he really could care less.

"Yeah. What is this place? There's a lot of gear in here. What'd they do, rob a tech shop?" I gave the slightest of smiles at this. Even though he's just been thrown into this unknown territory, Simon is still Simon.

We all stopped in front of one of the many screens and Jace pulled up the security footage from outside.

"So this cold-blooded killer is gonna help us?"

"He's not a killer, he's protecting us."

"Specifically you," he states, gesturing toward Clary. "It's sort of our thing. Plus, your sister here seems to be able to handle herself okay."

I rolled my eyes at the arrogant blond. I swear she trusts way too easily. He said a few nice words, explained stuff to her, and made a promise that isn't guaranteed, that's all. It could just be me, but my little sister gave him a whole lot of trust, way too quickly for someone she just met.

"Your thing? You guys have a thing?" The lovesick boy panicked. His oh so obvious crush to everybody but said crush.

"He means a shadowhunter thing. That's what they do, protecting humans from demons."

"Well you catch on fast Little Red," I addressed, giving her a proud smile. She gave a smile back before we were brought back on topic.

"Demons, right. That makes perfect sense, because there are demons running all around New York."

"That is the first correct thing you've said all day." I lightly slapped his arm at that, a sign to leave the mundane boy alone.

I tuned out of the conversation after that, kind of bored with the whole thing. There was no point really. As my gaze started to wonder, my eyes caught the tall, dark haired male from earlier. Alec. He looked to be working on something, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration. And almost as if he felt my gaze on him, he lifted his head and his hazel eyes met my brown ones. The corners of his mouth turned up very faintly, a ghost of a smile appearing on my face in return.

As fast as the moment came, it went when Alec noticed Simon behind me. He started to approach, his face returning to the stoic one I've seen since that demon fight at the Pandemonium.

"What is going on?" He interrogates once he joins, causing me to start listening to the conversation again. "Why is there a mundane in the institute?"