Chapter 7- Maps and Blackmail

"I still don't like this," Evelyn looked over at James and Sirius with a suspicious expression as the cheerful noises of breakfast surrounded her. "Lily, are you sure they don't look guilty?"

"You're being paranoid," Lily advised, without looking up from her book. "It's been weeks."

"Yeah, Snape," James flashed her an innocent smile. "Why are you so worried?"

Evelyn shuddered and turned to look at her right. The Gryffindors had gotten used to her presence at their table every morning. She found them much more welcoming than her own house. "Oi Fabian!"

The redhead boy looked up from his sausage with a grin, his blue eyes flashing with interest. "Yes, snake?"

"Should I be watching my back?" Evelyn gestured between Sirius and James, who exchanged sneaky looks. "I don't believe they've forgiven Sev and I for the green hair."

"Wait, Snivellus was in on this?" James's expression turned sour.

Evelyn clapped a hand over her lips, her dark eyes widening in alarm. "I didn't say anything! Fabian," she smiled convincingly as she leaned towards the twin. "As the expert pranker at this table.."

"Which would be me," James retorted stubbornly, shooting the older Gryffindor a glare.

"Yes," Fabian replied, winking at Evelyn. "I would tred carefully, princess." He stood with a last gulp of pumpkin juice. "I'm gonna find Gideon."

"PRINCESS?" James and Lily chorused at the same time. However, Lily's was a squeal and James sounded rather disgusted.

Evelyn avoided their gazes, forcing herself to bury her blush in a copy of the Daily Prophet. "He flirts with everyone."

"Maybe you'll finally get that kiss," Lily teased.

Evelyn smacked the redhead on the shoulder with her DADA book, but it was too late. Sirius and James were already staring at her with arrogant expressions.

"Wait," Sirius smirked, his eyes alight. "You've never kissed anyone?"

"I, unlike you Black, have more important things to attend to," Evelyn hid beneath her book stubbornly. "Like study."

Lily looked at her friend with a slightly ashamed smile. "Sorry."

Evelyn winked at the redhead, revenge bursting in her mind. "Lils, did you never tell Jamesie about Amos?"

"DIGGORY?" James yelped, looking over at Lily with a scandalized expression. "Don't tell me.."

"They snogged," Evelyn added helpfully, gathering her book in her arms. Scrambling away form Lily's threatening hand, she left the Great Hall with a grin. Fishing in her bag for a quill, she frowned as her hand brushed a foreign piece of parchment. Her eyes widened as she pulled it out. It was the paper she had grabbed the night she had snuck into the Marauder's room. Faint red lines could be seen across the sides and it was carefully folded, especially for the sloppy boys. Turning over her shoulder to make sure no one was paying attention, Evelyn ducked into a darkened corridor and took out her wand.

"Open," she muttered. The parchment remained blank. She examined the lines more closely and her eyes widened in realization as she traced the designs with her fingertips. It was a map. A map of Hogwarts. She recognized the faint passages. Dots swirled around the paper, dancing from one corner to the next.

"What are they.." she waved her wand. "Evelyn Snape commands you to reveal your secrets."

Faint writing blossomed on the cover of the map and Evelyn leaned forward excitedly.

"Mr. Wormtail would like to say that he thinks Miss Snape is rather nice, but that she should best put the map down immediately for her safety."

"Mr. Moony offers his apologies for the following comments and suggests she keep a better eye on her brother, the greaseball."

"Mr. Padfoot requires that Snape removes her filthy hands from his property immediately and finds a mirror to fix her ugly hair."

"Mr. Prongs advises that Snape mind her own business, the dirty snake, and focus her attention on wooing his precious Lilyflower for him. He would like to add that her hair is not that ugly, although it looks better down."

Evelyn gaped at the parchment; her eyes wide. Self-consciously, she patted the bun twisted at the nape of her neck and leaned against the nearest wall as a mischievous smile grew on her lips. Forget Herbology. She had found a much more interesting project.

---

"I'm telling you, I wasn't the last one that had it!"

Sirius bounced down the halls a few weeks later, his hair tousled about his neck. Cold had begun to creep into the stone walls of Hogwarts and Evelyn tightened the Slytherin scarf around her throat as she eavesdropped, walking a few steps behind the group.

"Where else would it be, Padfoot?" James ran a hand through his hair distractedly as a look of frustration crossed his face. "We were so close to finishing it."

"You did leave it on the floor, Padfoot," Peter pointedly out, twisting his tie nervously as Sirius sent him a nasty glare.

Evelyn smirked as she strolled up to the Marauders, bubbling with excitement as she straightened her skirt casually. "That he did."

James spun around, his eyes widening in horror as he took in her smug expression. "You took it!"

"How did.." Remus nodded as he squinted his eyes against the sunlight beaming through the window. "When you dyed their hair."

Evelyn removed the map from her pocket, twirling it between her fingers. Sirius looked like he was about to pounce, but she held up a hand. "This was actually rather brilliant," she admitted, looking down, "I just had to make a few adjustments." She walked over into an empty classroom and laid the paper down upon a desk, the boys quickly following her in. Pointing her wand, she grinned. "I couldn't guess the password for ages. But I saw a few doodles on Sirius's potions essay the other day." At this, James prodded his friend in the side harshly. Evelyn snorted. "I solemnly swear I am up to no good."

The map burst to life, outlining the entire grounds of Hogwarts. Evelyn had altered the dots to form footprints, which had the name of each person scrawled underneath. She beamed. "You can find anyone, anywhere, anytime. I assume that was the idea."

James looked reluctant as he reached out a hand towards the desk. "I must say I'm impressed.."

Evelyn snatched up the map before he could touch it, causing James to scowl at her in annoyance. "You can have it back on one condition." She raised an eyebrow. "Show me how to use the secret passageways."

Sirius scoffed. "Like we would tell you."

"Fine," Evelyn shrugged, beginning to fold the parchment closed. "I guess.."

"Wait!" James held out a hand and he gazed at her with a disgusted expression as he crossed his arms. "You are such a Slytherin."

Evelyn bit her lip, fighting a wave of excitement. If she could find a quicker way out of the castle, it would make transformations easier. "Is that a yes?"

James sighed, rubbing his hand over his forehead before he straightened his glasses. "Sure, I'll take you."

"YES!" Evelyn threw her arms around his neck with a grin. There was an awkward pause as she turned scarlet and quickly retracted herself, shifting uncomfortably. "Sorry."

"Too much for you to handle?" James winked at her, his cheeks a light pink.

"Never," Evelyn snorted, tossing her hair over her shoulder. She had found herself letting it down more and more, the words from the map running through her head. "You couldn't handle me." She turned and left the corridor, trotting down the stones quickly and forcing herself not to look back.

Meanwhile, Remus sent James a suspicious glare, his hair a bright caramel colour in the morning sun. "You are so whipped."