Chapter 10- Painful Transformations

Evelyn groaned as her body popped, pain exploding like fireworks in nearly every part of her body. Her back arched, stiffening as fur began to sprout from her skin. Her face elongated until it took the form of a narrow snout and when her eyes opened again, they were a brilliant yellow.

Letting out a yowl, the werewolf slammed into the trunk of the tree that kept it safely contained. It dug its claws into the ancient bark, but was unable to even make a dent. Leaves fluttered down, grazing its pelt gently as the moon illuminated the scars on its back. Growling, the beast scraped at the ground, tearing deep ruts into the earth.

A few hours later, Evelyn opened her eyes with a whimper. Everything hurt. Pushing her face from the ground, Evelyn winced at the deep gash that ran across her arm. She was going to need Severus for that one. He had invented a healing cream that helped the scars fade, although the old ones would never cease to pattern her skin. Stumbling, she pushed her way through the roots of the oak, a space too small for a werewolf to fit through.

"It was a rough transformation," Orion observed, his gaze calculating as he observed her limp. "You have a sprained ankle and that cut on your arm needs to be treated." He kneeled, lowering his back.

Evelyn nodded her thanks, not trusting herself to speak. Gingerly, she climbed on while trying to avoid putting pressure on her ankle. Orion once again galloped through the forest, his hooves forming a familiar beat. Evelyn pressed her face into his back. Although rather awkward, she had learned it kept her face from being whipped by branches.

"EVE!"

Evelyn opened her eyes as Orion slowed to a trot, clearing the forest. "Lily?"

The redhead gazed at her with an expression of horror, her face pale and drawn with exhaustion.

Evelyn slid down from Orion's back, stumbling as she hit the ground. Lily ran forward and supported her shoulder as Evelyn tilted her head to look at the sky. It was a faint pink and the sun had just begun to tease its way across the treetops.

"What are you doing here?" she gritted her teeth as she took a tentative step forward.

"I met Orion out by Hagrid's the other day," Lily explained, pressing a cloth to the cut on Evelyn's cheek. "He invited me to come help you."

Evelyn grimaced as Orion dipped his head and faded back into the trees. "You didn't have to. It's not safe."

"I can handle myself." Lily's face was stubborn as her emerald eyes gleamed in the morning light, her breath billowing in front of her face. "Besides, you would never hurt me."

Evelyn shot her a doubtful look as they hobbled their way into the castle and stopped by an empty classroom. "You don't know that."

Lily looked at her in the eyes and gave a tight smile. "Yes, I do."

"Eve!" Severus stood from where he usually waited for her to return. He rushed over, grabbing her arm gingerly. "This is disgusting."

"Thanks," Evelyn laughed shakily as she slid onto a chair. "My ankle is sprained too, apparently."

Severus waved his wand, fixing it easily. He shook his head as he took another look as the gash. "This is going to take a while to heal." Muttering under his breath, he ran his wand up and down her arm a few times. The skin scabbed over, but was still tender to the touch.

Lily conjured a few bandages and gently rubbed a bit of the ointment Severus handed her on Evelyn's arm. "I can't believe you've been doing this for ten years."

Severus flinched slightly and Lily's eyes widened. She covered his hand gently, her soft fingers laying against his.

"Sev, what happened was never your fault."

"And if you keep blaming yourself," Evelyn opened one of her eyes from where she had leaned against the wall. "I will cut off your manhood."

Severus and Lily shot her equally disgusted expressions.

"What?" Evelyn smiled slightly, wincing as she shrugged her shoulders. "I have to be that serious."

"Should you really go to class today?" Lily grabbed her arm and helped her up, careful to avoid her bandaged arm. "I'm sure you could be sick."

Evelyn shook her head. "Anyone could notice, I can't miss days regularly. Draws to much attention." She set her bag gingerly on her shoulder. "Just might not take my books today."

"You can use mine," Lily offered, holding a rather large stack of her own.

"Thanks." Evelyn paused, turning to the redhead as she chewed on her lip hesitantly. "I promised James I would ask if you were interested in going to the ball with him?"

"WHAT?"

"JAMES?"

Severus's face was red. "Since when do you call him James?"

Evelyn turned pink and she ducked back into the corridor, eager to escape her brother's accusing glare. "Never mind."

Lily trotted next to her, significantly shorter but still able to keep up. "I can't believe you thought I would consider it."

"I don't know!" Evelyn felt the sudden urge to cry. "Just thought I should ask."

Lily's face softened as she took Evelyn's arm once more, guiding her up the staircase. "I'm sorry." She smiled. "I know he can be a real charmer."

Severus grunted a noise of repulsion. "Can't believe the two of you are friends."

"Hardly!" Evelyn protested, feeling attacked. "I barely know him."

"Well let me remind you." Her twin stopped in front of her, his eyes cold. "He's a bully who has made my life miserable for years."

Evelyn watched as he spun around and left in the opposite direction, his cloak flaring across the stone floor. "Oh," she whispered quietly.

"He will be alright," Lily bit her lip as she led the way to Charms. "James is just a rather sore topic. Always been cruel to him."

Evelyn watched her curiously. "Is that why you never agreed to a date?"

"Yes," Lily admitted slowly, organizing her notes in her bag without looking up. "Potter needs to mature first."

"First?" Evelyn raised an eyebrow and Lily turned pink.

"Which will never happen," the redhead insisted.