chapter twenty two

~Marley~

~Marley~

The radio was humming through the car as she drove the short distance to Pub 132, the road was dark as the car danced along the winding road as she sang quietly to herself, the familiar tune putting a smile on her face as well. She always got a warm feeling in her chest when one of her father's favorite songs would pop on, loving the way it had felt to be driving the car.

It had been her father's, his second baby girl as he would call it. Everytime she was in the small space, she couldn't help the moments that flooded her memory as his necklace that was hanging from the rear view mirror swayed with the motion of the car. She could almost hear the laughter echo through the car, hearing her father's awful voice dance around her ears as he picked up speed, allowing her long brown hair to glide through the wind that roared into the car due to the windows her dad loved to have open.

"Let the world know you're coming baby," he shouted over the loud radio, laughing as she stuck her head out to look at the world passing by quickly.

There she goes, there she goes again

"Sing it dad!" Marley shouted, giggling loudly as she heard her father start to sing off key. She took her seatbelt off quickly, hating the restriction she felt as she tried to feel as free as she possibly could. She flew her arms into the air, the smile so wide on her face she was afraid she would catch a fly. The air was roaring around her, her hair dancing in the wind as she shrieked with joy, feeling complete and utter bliss.

"Seatbelt on," her father chuckled, lightly slapping her leg as she giggled once more before flying back onto the seat as she rolled her eyes at him.

"C'mon, dad," she whined, pouting her lips as she widened her eyes at her father. "It's itchy."

She dramatically rubbed her exposed shoulder that was out from her baby blue tank top, still sweating from the London air mixing with the hot air coming from the broken vents on the dashboard. She looked at her dad who was smiling at her, ruffling her hair like he had always done to the 10 year old when she was annoyed. "Sorry, pal. Your mum would kill me if anything happened to you."

"Whatever," she huffed, crossing her arms over her chest

His boyish grin flashed in her face as she shook her head, trying her hardest to fight the smile that was begging to be seen. She swatted his arm away, sighing as she looked over to the window again before tugging on her seatbelt as he glared at him.

"Just because you've got to wear your seatbelt doesn't mean you have to be so blah," he teased, turning up the radio as he shouted along to the words of the song.

She bit her lip, kicking her feet onto the dash as she stuck her hand out of the window again, finally stopping pretending to be mad as they continued down the road. She finally caved and belted out the lyrics, pointing at her father as if she was queuing him to sing.