Chapter 49: I Hate This Lady

Epona's POV:

I sighed, pulling my hair back into a ponytail. Madam Pomfrey wouldn't let me go to classes again until she made more EpiPens and I had fully recovered, so I've missed about the first week. Though from what I've heard from Harry and my friends, I'm not excited for our Dark Arts class.

Because I, am a complete asshole who doesn't know when to shut up. Most people learn to appreciate it. But I think Umbridge and I are going to have some problems. And it's more than just her trash personality.

That could be slightly excusable if it weren't for her absolutely eye burning horrendous outfit. I mean, sweet Merlin does she need help if she can wear that and think she looks good. Maybe she wants me to pour bleach into my eyes.

She brings shame to us Slytherins. Though not Draco, he seems to be loving the pain my brother and his friends are. For some reason though, it doesn't bother me. His cruelty excites me. I took a deep breath, and made my way to my class.

I noticed the hallways were mostly empty, but Madam Pomfrey told all my teachers that I'd be fatigued for a while, so please let it go if I'm late. I finally made it to my Dark Arts class, slightly tired, and I walked through the door five minutes late.

Umbridge the Un-Viewable was standing in front of the class, and she stopped mid sentence when I walked in.

"Miss Potter." She said, an oddly cheerful smile on her face, "You're late."

"Yes, I know." I breathed out, "I'm still a bit under the weather."

She made a popping sound with her lips, "Well, tardy's are inexcusable."

I still stood in the doorway, and I tilted my head slightly to the side, "Um, lady-"

She cleared her throat with an annoying "Hem Hem." And then spoke, "You will address me as Professor Umbridge. Now, say it back to me."

I sighed under my breath, "Professor Umbridge," I said it with a venom on my tongue, "I almost died a few days ago. Madam Pomfrey said that I could be late because I'm still going to be tired-"

She stopped me and waved her hand in my face, that oddly cheery smile only growing bigger on her face, "Why don't you take a seat and see me after class."

It wasn't a question as more of a statement. Harry, Ron and Hermione gave me nervous looks as I shrugged Umbridge off, annoyed. Fucking stuck up Ministry bitch. I took my seat next to Draco, and I followed his lead, taking out only my book. I looked around confused when no ones wands were out, and looked at my defensive spell book.  My eyes wandered to the chalk board with the course goals on them

I raised my hand, and by the look I got from Hermione the same thing had been on her mind on the first day.

Umbridge turned to me when I started wiggling my fingers and moving my arm enough to annoy her, "Yes, Miss Potter?"

"There's nothing here about using the spells." I said, and by the looks of the class this question had been asked before.

"As I told Miss Granger the other day, there is no need for the use of theses spells in my class. Or for any other reason then for O.W.L.'s" Her face was still in that stupid toothy smile, and it made me want to puke.

I pushed further, "But what's the use of learning the spells if we're never going to test them so that we can defend ourselves when we need to?"

Umbridge's eyes widened, "Miss Potter, you won't need to use them. Ever. Because there is no dark magic in this class."

My nose twitched, "But Volde-" 

Draco's hand squeezed mine, and he gave me the look that I need to be quiet or something bad will happen. I inhaled deeply.

"Whatever, Lady."

"You will say, 'Yes, Professor Umbridge, I understand we have no need for these spells'. Now say it to me." My hand was still in Draco's, and it was squeezing his tightly.

In a strained voice I said, "Yes, Professor Umbridge, I understand you have no need for these spells. Twat." I mumbled the last part under my breath. 

With the swish of her hand, Draco and I's hands were pushed away from each other. I looked at her appalled, but I stuffed it down my throat and started reading. I told the teachers and Dumbledore that I would be taking O.W.L's this year, and they told me that I could always redo it if I needed more time for studying.

After the class ended, Draco grabbed my hand again when Umbridge went to wait for me in her office.

"Epona, be careful. She's not ethical." He said to me, and I shrugged.

"I can handle the pink eyesore. I'll meet you later, promise." I traced my hand down his cheek, and smiled.

I decided to keep the look I had going. The black fingernails and the thick black winged eyeliner. I walked into Umbridge's office, and it was horrifying. I love cats, but this room is insane. She made me sit down, and use this pen of hers.

"Now, you will write 'I will not talk back during class.'" She said.

"How many rows?" I asked, knowing that this means.

She just smiled at me, taking a sip of her tea, "As many times as needed."

I sighed, and put the pen to the paper. But no ink came out of it. I raised an eyebrow, then continued to move the pen, and I felt a pain on my hand. I just smiled as the cuts of the words were being written into my hand.

I looked her in the eye as I was writing, "Guess we're going to be here for a while then." 

From the look on her face, and from what I saw in the reflection of the glass, my eyes were dull and slightly glossed over. No emotion behind them as I let it cut into my hand, writing row after row. It started going up my arm, over some of my still open cuts and scars.

I think I was in there for an hour before she kicked me out. I just forced a smile. Little does she know, I know I deserve this pain. I've done it so many times I no longer feel it anymore. She's in for a long year if she thinks she can break me down anymore than I've broken myself.

And little does she know, I hide pain very very well.