Chapter 8: Shattered

Upon making it to the house, Vaughn lead Seraphina inside and immediately started leading her towards the staircase that would lead the two up to the guest room John was in.

It felt like Seraphina had spent an eternity in that car, and the only thing her mind was focused on now was seeing John. She forced herself not to sprint past Vaughn up the spiraling wooden steps and dash around, searching the entire upstairs until she found who she was looking for.

She wasn't going to lie to herself. After everything she heard, she was really worried about John.

After finally making it to the top of the stairs, and noticing the creak the third to last step made, Vaughn lead the girl down the carpeted hallway and to the door of the closest bedroom, or what Seraphina assumed was a bedroom, and stopped in front of the white door before placing his hand on the shiny silver doorknob and pushing the door open.

The man stepped to the side to allow the young female to enter first, and she didn't hesitate to quickly step into the room.
It was a cozy little bedroom. A dresser sat in the far left corner of the room, a big window with white blinds was centered in the middle of the far wall, and the room was painted a soft shade of light gray. On the wall closest to the door, there was a wooden nightstand. Atop it was a glass of water and what looked to be an untouched sandwich on a white plate, little crumbs from the bread's crust sprinkling the top of it.

But what really caught Seraphina's attention wasn't the sandwich, it was the queen-sized bed that was also in the middle of the room, the headboard pushed up against the same wall as the nightstand was.

The young female's gaze immediately locked onto a large pile of blankets on the bed, or rather the head of raven hair she spotted poking out from underneath them all, and she rushed over to the other side of the bed so she could be face to face with him.

"John! Are you ok?!" Seraphina called out in worry and relief, only for that relief to be washed away with horror as she reached the far side of the bed, and got a good look at the state the broken boy was in. "J-John."

He looked so vulnerable and pale, his hair was messier than she had ever seen it, his eyes practically sagged with exhaustion from the large purple eye bags under his eyes, and worst of all was his eyes in general.

Those beautiful, bright golden eyes that Seraphina could spend all day looking into, were now shadowed and dull and looked nothing short of lifeless, his face completely expressionless. John honestly looked dead and that scared her.

"I-I guessed it was bad, but I didn't think he would be in a state like this. What happened? Did you find him like this?" Seraphina asked softly, not bothering to look up as tears started pricking at the corners of her eyes. She couldn't bear to see him like this, but at the same time, she couldn't tear her eyes away.

"He's been like that ever since I found him." Vaughn answered her after a few seconds of silence. "I was out buying some groceries when I noticed him among some abandoned cars outside on the lawn of my local gas station.

He was freezing to death, not to mention unresponsive, and I couldn't just leave him out there, so I brought him back home with me.

The room went silent again for a few moments as Seraphina let the information sink in, Vaughn patiently waiting for her to process what he was saying. The poor girl was clearly in shock from seeing the person she cared about the most in the horrible state he was in.

Just as Vaughn was wondering if he should continue talking or remain silent, the magenta-haired girl spoke up with another question.
"He was freezing? Is that why there are so many blankets?" It was an innocent question, but she really was curious about the large pile of blankets draped over the ravenette.