twenty-two

"Finn?" I wonder out loud as the toddler wraps chubby arms around my legs. I rub his back soothingly, the warmth from his little body like a space heater against my shins, before he rushes past me to find Grams.

By the laugh reverberating it's way through the threshold, it's safe to say he's found her easily.

My eyes trail up the long legs following after the boy until I finally rest on Luke's face, an apologetic smile on his lips.

"How's the head?" He murmurs, nose scrunched in that sexy, "sorry I got you into this mess" kind of way he has.

"Fine," I lie, blinking into the sunlight and ignoring the flutter in my lower belly. "But what're you doing here? You guys can't be here."

Not today. Not with Mom and Dad coming. If Luke thinks I hate him... well. I've heard Mom call Luke every expletive in the book and somehow, I don't think she's satisfied yet.

The last couple of weeks our family spent here after the accident only proved how much my parents were distancing themselves from the Henson's, from Luke and what he'd done. No matter what else he remembers, surely, he can't have forgotten that.

"Look, Dyl, if it's about last night - I'm sorry." Luke pleads before I can explain, hands clasped together in front of his chest. "I get it. I wouldn't even ask but-"

I hold a hand up to stop him. "Last night aside," I shake my head, trying to push our painful conversation from my mind. "You can't be here."

There was a time when nights with Luke were always like that - before the fight I mean. When we'd slow dance, bare feet sinking in the sand, bodies warm against one another even as the ocean breeze sent goosebumps across our skin. We'd be tipsy on alcohol, drunk off each other, laughing and kissing into the hours of morning.

"Look, it's Finn's dad's turn to take him, but he...." Luke trails off, tracking fingers through his dark hair. "You know what? You're right. This isn't your problem. Or June's. I'll figure it out."

He leans forward, close to my body, as he calls for Finn to come outside. The closeness sends shivers up my spine but I try to hide my reaction. It's just nostalgia. That's all.

"I'm sorry to bother you." He murmurs, breath warm on my cheek, before he straightens again, waiting for our little friend to rejoin us.

"What, Uncle Luke?" Finn waddles towards us. "I was saying hi to Miss June."

"I know buddy," Luke swings the toddler into his arms, turning back down the front porch. "But I'm going to be late for work and we need to get you somewhere, okay?"

"Luke," I roll my eyes to the ceiling. Maybe it's just Finn making me feel guilty. I hope. I wait till Luke's facing me again to continue. "Normally it wouldn't be a big thing. It's just that-"

I don't get to finish my sentence before a large, black SUV pulls into Gram's gravel driveway. The gleam of the windshield is blinding, piercing the space right behind my eyes and making my head throb.

Great. Perfect timing.

Luke looks from the car, back to me, eyes wide on his tan face. He knows.

I gulp, needlessly finishing my thought as car doors slam closed. "It's just that my parents are coming today."

"I'll go," Luke mutters quickly, hurriedly trying to buckle Finn into his car seat before my parents approach the porch.

Too late.

"Well. Are you going to stand there or will you come say hello?" Mom's voice rings through the air, phony and blatantly disappointed all at once.

"Hi, Mom." I call from where I'm standing in the doorway, making no effort to move closer. "Dad,"

"Oh, for the love of..." Mom murmurs to herself, deciding to meet me where I'm standing instead. Placing a dainty hand on both my shoulders, she examines my face. "Hello, elusive daughter of mine."

She wraps me in an embrace that lacks real warmth and I reluctantly return the favor. Dad is beside us now, but as I've gotten used to on the rare occasion that I actually stand face to face with him, he doesn't meet my eyes.

What I haven't gotten used to, is the way that it still stings. Clenching my jaw, I push the empty feeling in my gut away, trying my hardest to keep it together.

"Well, the place looks-" Mom steps backwards, taking in the small cottage. It's then that she swivels on her heel, just now noticing Luke struggling with an uncooperative and flailing Finn.

"I don't want to go!" Finn cries as Luke tries to quiet him.

"Buddy, come on. Shh, help me out, okay?" Luke glances quickly over his shoulder, hands desperately trying to control Finn's limbs while buckling him safely inside.

Mom sets her sight on Luke and her eyes light up with anger. The only real time she shows emotion now is when she's mad, another sad realization that I've grown used to.

"Luke Henson. What are you doing here?"

Uh oh! Luke and parents run in

What's the vibe we're getting from Mom & Dad?
Thanks for reading everyone! See ya in the comments & remember to vote if you enjoyed ❤️