1

"Mama, you cannot expect me to wear yellow again?" Penelope huffed, heaving the heavy golden frock onto the bed. "It's the most dreadful color."

"Hush," her mother, Lady Featherington, snapped. She snatched the gown off the perfectly made bed and held it up to her daughter. "Yellow is most definitely your color, dear." The fakest of smiles flashed across her face and Penelope sighed. "Besides," Lady Featherington straightened. "Your sisters all have their colors, too. So you can commiserate together if that's how you all must feel."

The red haired Lady turned on her heel and headed for the door when she saw a figure in the corner. "Phoebe! Why are you not in your gown?" The flustered Lady rushed across to the chair her daughter was sat in and yanked the girl out of her daydream. "We must make haste if we are to arrive at a respectable time."

The small figure of Phoebe Featherington sighed as her mother rushed her out of her sister's room and into her own. The horrid lavender dress lay on the bed, desiring to be loved but knowing it will never receive it.

"We don't have time for this!" Lady Featherington huffed as she attempted to tame her third born's hair. Phoebe sat perfectly still as her hair was yanked at its roots and pulled into a semblance of a sophisticated half updo. She absolutely dreaded balls. She hated everything that went with it: the dresses, the hair, the time, the people, the small talk. Oh the small talk.

Phoebe knew that finding a suitor would give her the freedom from her mother and awful older sisters, but at what cost? What could a potential suitor possibly have to contribute to her life that she couldn't find in a book, nature, art, with Penelope, or friends?

"Are you listening?" Phoebe's attention focused on the half-crazed mother in front of her. The girl slowly shook her head. Lady Featherington swore she was going to lose her mind. Taking a deep breath, the woman tried again, "You are to speak to at least three gentlemen, potential suitors, whatever you wish to call them."

Seeing her daughter's eye roll coming, she continued, "I will not have 4 daughters still unwed at the end of this season." Phoebe realized her mother seemed desperate. She knew her family was no diamond, definitely not Bridgerton's. However, the fact that her mother did not think her or any of her sisters capable of finding an eligible suitor, stung.

To be frank, Phoebe did not care to be married. She was quite content with her books, art, and music. Penelope and Eloise were the only friends she needed to keep her company. Besides, Phoebe definitely was not a conversationalist.

"Phoebe," her mother's whisper sent chills up her spine. "It might, as hard as it may seem, be up to you." The Lady stared deeply into her daughter's eyes, attempting to convey the importance of interacting with the gentlemen at the ball this evening.

Phoebe squeezed her mother's hands and gave a quick nod, dropping her eyes from the strong gaze of the Lady. The girl stood and glanced at the horrendous purple dress on her bed. With a heavy sigh, she did what she knew she must. Her mother helped lace her into the dress and gave a bright smile.

"Three men, Phoebe. At least one dance, as well." The girl opened her mouth as if to object, but was cut off. "One. Dance." With that, Lady Featherington once again spun on her heel and left her daughter alone.

Phoebe caught her reflection in the mirror. A horrid dress, a terrible occasion, and three boring men to "entertain" this evening. Why does she have to endure this torture? She did not ask for it. She does not care for it. She would gladly trade anyone of a lesser status her place so she could simply enjoy her life and pursue her passions.

A soft rap on the door startled Phoebe out of her thoughts. "Are you ready?" The quiet voice of her youngest sister, Penelope, came through the wood. After a deep breath, Phoebe joined her sister in the hallway.

Linking arms with the younger girl, Phoebe whispered, "Let's get this over with." Giggling, the two girls went down the stairs to join the rest of their family to head to the Danbury ball.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome one and all!
I hope you enjoy the first chapter of Silent Longing! I am very excited to write this story!
A few things: this story will not completely follow the books or show, although I will try my hardest. I am still debating on keeping a few aspects or excluding them (EX: Siena).
I would love any feedback!
Please comment, vote, and let me know what you think of the story! I hope to be posting at least once a week!