Friend or Foe?

*Mia's P.O.V*

Why had I ended up in Washington of all places?! I didn't even know that there was a state called Washington. My American education had failed me and now I was completely lost. I was in a small town called Forks? Who names a town that? I would have to research why it was called that after I got the hell out of this town.

I take a deep breath, allowing myself to turn invisible. It's an ability that I can do almost passively, not one that I had to actively force myself to do. I should be lucky for that but it was kind of embarrassing when my power acted out of my control. It's not exactly invisible.

I call it Chameleoning. My body blends into the background to the human eye, making me appear as just part of a wall or anything that was around me. My heart pounds as I make my way around the town, a small growl escaping me when I hear the sound of people. It was the middle of the day! Shouldn't they be at work or school...or whatever humans did? It's been a while since I've seen humans, being locked in a crypt and all for the past couple decades. I had finally scratched my way out though and I got to say, I hadn't really missed much.

Except the fact that now humans could almost instantaneously talk to each other. That was still weird to me and I didn't like their little cellular phones. I prayed upon the downfall of their creation every time I saw one.

Hunting around town, something catches my attention. It's not like what the humans smell like, which is breakable and tasty. This scent kind of raises the hairs on the back of my neck raise slightly. It smells...sweet. I would say it smells like me but I don't smell sweet, I smell like dust. That was because I ran around a lot though, getting covered in dust from the wind.

I follow the scent, like a bloodhound. It leads me out of town, into the woods. I don't mind following it but the hair on the backs of my arm raises when I realize that there are several scents like the sweet one...7 of them in fact.

I hesitate to keep following the scents, realizing I'm a bit in over my head. Every part of my body screams danger and that's before I'm slammed into a tree. I don't even realize what's happening, at least not at first.

I stare into the golden eyes of a tall man. Well he's taller than me. And I knew that because he was holding me to a tree by my throat so my feet weren't on the ground. If I had to breathe then I imagined I would be quite panicked. Since I don't, I just stare into the man's eyes. I watch as his mouth opens, revealing fangs.

There's a blur and suddenly he's off me. He's off me and halfway across the little driveway I'm standing in. At least that's what I think it is, there's not many tracks. Not ones I recognize anyways.

"Get ahold of yourself Jasper," a woman's voice snaps. I blink, turning to see a beautiful blonde woman. The man she had thrown off of me was also blonde. Were they related? Possibly. I would keep that in mind. The woman turns her attention to me and I realize that she's not really a woman at all...she's my age?! She radiates energy that she's older. I realize that the blonde man is still across the driveway, staring at me. Her strength doesn't make sense...no one could be that strong and human. I realize that she must be a vampire like me now too. Or as I call myself, a bloodsucker.

"Vampire?" I ask, just to check my hypothesis before I accuse her of being one. She nods, glancing at the blonde man. "So there are more, good to know. Well not really good, I did just pinned to a tree by my throat so vampire men so far are 0 to 2," I state.

"Sorry," the Jasper man apologies, not seeming very sorry. He is very tense, like he was upset with something.

"He's not very good at controlling who he attacks when he's hunting. He's working on it," the girl says. I've decided I can call her girl because I don't know her name and I don't think she's that much older than me. I was 17 and she looked like she was 18. So girl fits better...I think.

"Okay," I say, not sure what to say to that. I didn't like when people apologized or explained things to me. I take a deep breath, taking in her scent. "You're the sweet smell?" I ask curiously, making her raise an eyebrow.

"What sweet smell?" she asks, taking a breath. "All I smell is the woods and you," she says.

"What do I smell like?" I ask curiously, tilting my head as she leans closer to take a deep breath.

"Dust, fear, humans," she says, making me furrow my eyebrows. Huh, I thought I smelled sweet. Kind of like the scent humans gave off when they rotted. At least that's how they smelled to me after so long in the crypt.

"What's going on?" a new man speaks and when the girl turns her head, I blend into the tree. I hate meeting people, especially since the two vampire men I had met had been meh at best.

"New vampire," is all the Jasper man says. When the dark haired vampire enters the clearing, I realize that there are two men. Although they don't look that old either. Neither does the girl with them. She has short hair. I wonder if I should cut my hair short.

"Where?" The taller of the two guys asks. He's super buff, he seems nice though. A little confused at the moment. The blonde girl in front of me turns her head to look at me, her eyes widening when she seems to look right through me.

"Where did she go?" the girl asks, making the Jasper furrow his eyebrows. I've decided to knight him as the Jasper because I don't know him well and he also pinned me against a tree by the throat so I was really being quite nice by only adding the in front of it.

"What do you mean? You can't see her?" The short haired girl asks, her eyes zeroing in on me almost instantly.

"She's right where she was a moment ago," the Jasper says, making the blonde girl step forward. She reaches out to touch me, her eyes widening when she touches my arm.

"What the fuck?" she whispers, turning to look at the other guys whose names I don't know so I take the chance to step back, slipping around the tree and taking off running. I had just met my first vampires since turning into a vampire and I was terrified of them. I was also a little excited but that just meant I had more to write down in my journal. I hoped I could remember their faces well enough to put them in my journal, so that I could keep track of whether they were my friends or foes.

I decided to build up Mia's relationship slowly with the Cullens this time. Also I don't know if I will include Bella in this, I don't know how well she would click into this story.