Chapter 27

listen to "crying lightning" by arctic monkeys for the full experience :) don't forget to comment and vote!

"W-What?" My knees give out from under me and I slide to the floor in disbelief. I see Persephone wave, and she turns wholly visible. Charon's and Hades's eyes snapped to me, the emotions that I detect from them are completely different. 

Charon looks apologetic.

Hades only regards me with suspicion.

"Leave." Ares's words were like thunder on a clear day, causing the other beings to exchange glances. Phobus turns to look at me, and he offers the softest smile. He disappears. I could feel the room grow considerably warmer, his agitation leaking into the physical world around us. "Now."

They leave, Persephone first, then Hades and Charon.

Something is strange. Me. I am strange, I—

If I'm not me... Who... What am I?

The prophecy... They needed Mia Williams, but-but she's dead?

Am I--Is it still-- "I'm not dead, I swear it on my life, I'm not trying to trick you—" The God of War kneels down next to me as words spilled out of my mouth. He needs to believe me, I-I-- "I don't know what he's talking about—I made it out of that house alive with my brothers—" I clasp my hands together. 

Was it all wrong? Mia Williams is dead, I'm irrelevant, is he going to kill me? 

"Shhh, I believe you, I believe you." A tear leaves my eye, and he wipes it away gently. I grasp onto his hand, pleading.

"I need to see my brothers. They can't be dead, there's no way they're dead, I woke them up—please, please, I woke them up—" I'm shaking, trembling as I hold onto him. My chest expands and contracts haphazardly, a pins and needles feeling spreading from my wrist. My eyes flicker around the room.

What the fuck happened to me? I can't be... What if all of this was just a dream, everything, there's no way, there's no—

"Hush, doll, breathe." A whimper leaves my mouth and he rubs soothing circles against the back of my hand. Ares wipes more tears from my face, before cupping my cheek with the hand I wasn't holding onto. His silver eyes are soft, gorgeously brilliant, twin moons coaxing peace into me. 

I let go of the death grip I had on him, my knuckles cracking as I do, and I rub my palms against my eyes. What do I need—What do I need to do— "I need to..." I sniffle. Breathe in, out, this is nothing, Mia. "Do you know if my brothers..."

My voice dies out.

Ares glances into the file, flipping to the next page. More tears rise to my eyes. "Be strong, babygirl." I nodded, chewing on my bottom lip. Stop crying, damnit. 

He shakes his head. "It doesn't say that they are." I almost burst into tears once more, but I hold myself back.

"How am I here? How am I not—we went to the Underworld—"

"Breakfast?" I blink at him.

"What?"

"Have you had breakfast yet, love?" I stare at him for a heartbeat. And I laugh. I sniffle, before shaking my head. 

He's getting better at this. 

I glance down at my hands. "Not yet." He's trying to distract me. Ares snaps and the smell of food fills the room, platters, and dishes set on a coffee table in the middle of the room. I still haven't gotten used to what these Gods could do.