21 - back at the hospital

Penelope POV

Mommy carried me into the hospital, but this time with our chests facing each other and my legs around her waist. I laid my head on her chest as I focused on breathing.

I heard her explain to the nurse at the front station and they immediately took me back. Mommy went to set me on the table, but I whined out and she took the hint. She got up on the table with me and I laid against her body.

She rubbed my back softly and kissed my temple as I heard the door open. I turned my head and saw it was Jo.

She hadn't looked up yet, but already started introducing herself, "Hi folks, my name is Dr. Lewis... Penny?" She asked when she looked up and saw me cuddling on mommy.

"Hi Jo." I mumbled out and she smiled a little bit.

"Hey sweetie, can you tell me what happened? I feel like I just saw you here the other day." She told me and I nodded. It has felt like a lifetime with these women, but it's only been a few days.

"I.was.walking.to.class.and.football." I had to break and try to catch my breath. Beth noticed and rubbed my back for me.

"Shh, it's okay little one. I can finish telling her if you want?" Mommy asked and I gave her a small head nod.

"According to the school nurse, Penny was walking through the commons when a football player jumped up to catch a ball and ended up jumping backwards into her. She hit the ground and that's when the breathing issues started." mommy explained to Jo and I nodded along with her.

Jo nodded her head, "Okay, well it sounds like we should run some scans and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. Let's go ahead and get you in this wheelchair and take you down there."

I looked up at mommy and shook my head before resting it in the crook of her neck. "No wanna leave you mommy." I cried in a whisper and she held me a little tighter.

"It's okay sweetheart. It's just like last time, they are going to run some scans and they will get you back to me in no time. You'll be okay." she told me as she set me down in the wheelchair and they wheeled me away.

Bethany POV

A few tears slipped out of my eyes as Penny was wheeled away. Mariana and Bella surprised me when they walked through the door. Bella saw the tears and immediately came to hug me.

"Where's Penny?" Mariana asked upset.

"They took her to get some scans. Dr. Lewis didn't know what was going on, but babes, she was literally struggling to breathe." I said before crying on Bella's shoulder.

"Why are you two here? I told you we shouldn't all miss work." I asked them and Mariana came over next and wrapped me up in her arms.

"Beth, it's Penny. Do you really think we wouldn't come?" Bella asked and I chuckled a little bit as we all sat down.

"So what happened to our little one?" Bella asked and I sighed.

"She was walking through the commons when a football player accidentally jumped up to catch a ball and bumped into her. She hit the ground and then couldn't breathe properly." I explained and both women looked unsure.

We sat there not saying much when Penny was wheeled back into the room. She saw Mari and Bella, but lifted her arms to me. The nurse who wheeled her in said Jo would be in shortly to explain the situation.

I let Penny cuddle against me so I kissed her temple. "Hi baby girl." I whispered to her and she smiled a little bit.

"Hi. Mommy." She gasped out as she snuggled underneath my chin.

Both Mariana and Bella gasped when they heard her call me mommy. "Did she just?" Mari started and I nodded my head.

"When?" Mari asked and I could tell she was a little upset.

"She just started this morning. Please don't be upset, I'm sure she will call you guys some variation of mommy eventually. I wasn't expecting her to say it this soon, especially not to me." I explained and Mari nodded.

"I'm not upset that she called you mommy, I suspected she would because she got closest with you. I'm actually so happy. She's warming up to all of us and already comfortable enough to call one of us that." Mari explained and I felt a little relieved.

Just as our conversation was finishing up, Dr. Lewis walked back in and had a content smile on her face.

"So good news is none of her ribs actually broke in the incident, meaning none of her ribs are puncturing a lung. She is in a lot of pain that is causing it to be hard to breath. We are going to give her some painkillers right now and then some to take home. We also recommend using ice packs to help with pain or swelling. If at all possible, I think it'd be best if Penny was homeschooled or did school virtually for the next two months as her ribs heal. She's so tiny and with big football players, she's always a risk." Dr. Lewis explained and we all nodded in understanding.

She had a nurse administer some medication and we had to wait a little while to make sure there were no adverse reactions. Since there were none, we were able to go home.

I carried Penny on my hip and she already seemed a little better with the pain meds working through her system.

"You sure keep us on our toes little one." I told her and kissed her cheek.

"I know mommy. I sorry." Penny mumbled out and Bella who was on my left side shook her head.

"No reason to be sorry sugarplum. It was an accident." Bella explained and Mariana agreed with her.

"Exactly sweetie. You did nothing wrong, we love you so much." Mari spoke and Penny let a little smile on to her face as she told us that she loved us too.

We finally made our way home knowing we had a lot of stuff to discuss and rearrange once we made it there.