Chapter 8

Unsure of what do to next, I looked around helplessly. Of course the bathrooms wouldn't have windows. We were underground, dammit. But...they had a door.

A door.

I stared at the door with adooration (yes, pun intended). It was like one of those moments they have in movies when angelic music plays in the background as a halo of bright golden light engulfs the person.

The door was not the one I came through, but an emergency exit near one of the back stalls. After a quick debate of whether or not Nick would get suspicious if I took the time to pee and then leave, I decided to pee and then leave. He seemed nice enough to give me all the time in the world to do whatever he thought I needed to do in here.

As quick as a quick animal, I used the bathroom, washed my hands, and walked out of the emergency exit door. It was in the opposite direction from where Nick was so patiently waiting. I felt kinda...smug just walking out like that. I was doing my 'boss walk that made me feel like I was in a Pantene commercial but still kind of intimidated for I was surrounded by very dangerous people in a very dangerous place' sorta thing.

The door didn't lead me to Hogwarts, as I had hoped, but to a hallway that was similar to the ones Cage and I walked through before. The security camera was watching everything, but I was hoping I could make it out of here before anyone noticed me wandering around.

We were underground. I needed to go outside, but not to the roof. That meant finding the ground level or at least the first floor that was above the ground. In the helicopter, I noticed that we landed on top of a silver building that was just on the outskirts of the city.

And to do that, I had to walk.

Suddenly, I came across another problem. I couldn't walk. My ankle hurt too badly. It was starting to swell up a bit and went stiff after a couple moments. But I couldn't just stand there contemplating about my missing eyebrows, my broken ankle, and Fern. Someone was coming, and it seemed like a lot of someones. Footsteps ran overhead.

Panicking, I started to run. Or at least limp away very quickly. They had found out I was missing. Nick must have realized what happened. My ankle began to burn with a special kind of torture as I ran. The farther I got away, the quieter it got. The footsteps I had heard earlier were gone, for now.

Pleased with myself, I turned around the corner and nearly tripped over another tripwire.

Heart pounding, I took a second to count my blessings. This particular booby trap had a nice looking bear trap hanging above it, waiting to be triggered by the slightest touch. It was amazing I had managed to stay alive this long, really. Cautiously, I stepped over the wire and continued on my way.

To my knowledge, I was moving up to the ground level. I climbed more and more staircases, hoping to see a window. Every door had a tripwire and many of them had some sort of lock on it. Frustrated, I turned wherever the hallways led me to. For all I knew, I could have been walking my little butt straight back to Cage Vickers. The underground tunnels and hallways was like a maze.

I was beginning to lose all hope when I encountered a door. There was nothing special about this door, except it had no lock and the words 'Private Property' was emblazoned in black stone on the white door. Curious, I pulled it open, making sure there wasn't a booby trap set up behind it.

There wasn't, and what I saw surprised me. The door led into a hallway that led to what looked like a living room made up of wooden and white marble floors. Uncertain, I ventured further inside. It was a house underground because there were no windows. Lights set into the white ceiling lit up the place with a calming sort of atmosphere.