6 8 | J U L I A

"You two know each other?" I asked, looking between their identical displeased expressions.

"Yes, unfortunately," Jade replied.

"Indeed," Dale muttered with a grimace. He walked ahead of us and into an aisle. "I'll just search for the book I'm here for."

"Why were you with him?" Jade demanded.

"Um...he's my childhood friend I didn't know existed until like a month ago."

"Really? What rotten luck. I was hoping he was cheating on Luci," she grunted, watching the top of his head as he moved between the aisles.

I swatted her arm. "Dale is really nice and he loves his girlfriend. Don't say things like that just because you're jealous. As much as you're hurt, you should be happy for Lucija's happiness."

She rubbed at her arm, shooting me a glare. "You're supposed to take my side. I'm your friend."

"So is he," I countered.

She groaned. "As if one mutual friend with him wasn't enough."

"Get over it...and Lucija. I mean it. Don't try to sabotage their relationship or something," I warned, patting the back of her hand which was resting on the counter.

She retracted her hand, looking insulted. "Of course not! I'm absolutely nothing like those crazy jealous villains in movies and books who try to break up the pair."

"Good. Just making sure," I said with a smile. "You can go ahead. I'll take it from here."

"Thank you and goodbye!" She said, snatching her bag and with a huff, rushed out the glass door.

Dale came out with a book just as I settled into a seat. As I filled in the book details, he leaned against the counter to wait.

"So you're good friends with Jade?" He asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "I met her here. She's very nice."

"So I'm an exception? I thought she was usually like that with everyone," he snickered.

"Just give it time. She'll warm up to you. Right now she thinks you're stealing her friend from her. She doesn't like being a third wheel," I assured him. Jade would be friendly over time with him but only when she falls for someone else like she did with Lucija, which I prayed would be soon. It would be nice to have those two get along well with each other.

"Understandable. Especially when she's kind of a recluse and has a specific taste in friends," he agreed.

I was grateful for his perception. "How is Mrs. Baker?"

"Mom is great! She asks me about you every now and then. I was late to get in touch with you honestly, I was busy."

"Really? You tell her she can call me anytime she wants to."

"Nah, she worries she might annoy you."

"God, no! Never!" I widened my eyes at the absurdity. "Where did she get that ridiculous idea? I'd love to talk to her. In fact, I'll call her tonight myself."

"You do that. At least she'll stop pestering me about you," he chuckled.

"I'll ask about my mom. Maybe she remembers something more."

"Yes, which reminds me I–"

He was cut off by his phone ringing. He groaned and dug it out of his pockets but the second he looked at the screen, his lips quirked up in a smile. "Sorry, I have to take this."

"Go right ahead."

I finished filling the details on the computer and started sending emails to the people whose books were overdue while I waited for him to finish his call.