Chapter 1: Introductions

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dearest Reader,

The time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington – three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless mama. Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters.

The Bridgerton girls – minus two – flew down the stairs, Eloise in the lead complaining of the heat and the stuffy fashions society forced young women like herself to wear. Hyacinth, on the other hand, felt happy and pretty and didn't see what the issue was. Eloise's critiques of the morning couldn't dampen Hyacinth's mood, but her nearest-in-age brother, Gregory, and his running down the halls and staircases could. As he shot past her, Benedict chimed in, wondering what was taking the eldest two Bridgerton daughters so long.

"Daphne's only been readying herself the entire night," said Francesca.

"You mean her entire life," groaned Eloise.

"And Eleanor?" Benedict queried.

"Half that, perhaps," Francesca added, and then with a touch of sympathy for her brother, "at least we know she won't take quite as long."

"I shall run upstairs and hasten them along," added Colin. As Colin and Benedict began to bicker, Eloise saw a better option arising.

"DAPHNE! YOU MUST MAKE HASTE!" she yelled, her voice ringing through their rather large home. Then, returning to her normal tone, "Should you think she heard me?"

Benedict looked fairly astonished, but Colin looked somewhat proud. Neither knew exactly what to say. Francesca had the good mind to assure them both that even if Daphne hadn't, Eleanor probably did, and she was sure they would be down with their mother shortly.

Soon enough, the remaining family members came down from upstairs, and the Bridgertons began their procession out the front door. Hyacinth and Gregory led the way, still nagging each other, and Eloise and Francesca followed shortly after, just as the Featheringtons passed through their own doorway. The youngest of the three Featheringtons waved over to Eloise, and then made a curious face. Eloise, knowing that Penelope Featherington was inquiring as to the frequent third member of their small group, simply waved and then shot a look behind her through the doorway. Colin and Benedict shuffled through, followed their mother, and then Daphne. Viscountess Bridgerton kept her eyes moving between the stairs she was walking down and her eldest daughter behind her, who was carrying the front of her dress and had maids trailing behind.

Then, there was Eleanor. Her dress resembled Daphne's, though slightly less fancy, and she couldn't help comparing if her hair was done up more like Daphne's – elegant as could be – or her other sisters. They all looked nice, but the other girls didn't have as big of an event ahead of them. Did Eleanor measure up? She straightened her shoulders a bit as she walked through the doorway, her own gown in her hands, and then walked down the front steps with a maid behind her, carrying the train, just as Daphne and her maid had done. As she cleared the bottom step, she noticed Eloise stopped along the walkway, picking up a pamphlet she didn't recognize from the front pillar of the staircase.

"El, what is that?" she asked, to which Eloise was too engrossed in whatever she was reading to respond. Eloise simply took slow steps forward as her eyes flew over the words on the page. Never matter, Eleanor could just ask her twin later. It didn't seem to be so important that it couldn't wait until farther into the evening.