Chapter 2: Diamond(s?)

"You absolutely sparkled, sister," said Hyacinth, smiling happily at how the social season was progressing so far.

Hyacinth was standing near Daphne and some of the maids who were helping Daphne undress. Eloise was seated to the side, her feet propped up on the chair in front of her, engrossed in a pamphlet again. Francesca looked down at the pamphlet as well, and Eleanor stood nearby observing the two. She didn't even attempt to respond to Hyacinth. Although she was in fact her sister, she knew she was not the sister Hyacinth was referring to.

"Come, now," Daphne said through giggles, "I merely simpered and minced in a pretty dress like everyone else."

"Not exactly like everyone else," Francesca added.

"Oh, I shall need to go and visit with Penelope. Her presentation was anything but ... what was it the queen called you again?" asked Eleanor.

"Flawless," Daphne said certainly, then added, "or some such thing."

"Yes, flawless," Eleanor said, knowing Daphne knew she was right and not caring for Daphne trying to play it down.

"Trust I was astonished Her Majesty offered me, out of two hundred young ladies present, a most gracious remark"

"I'm not," Eleanor said, much in the same tone as her previous reply.

"And you were lovely too, sister," Daphne said to Eleanor, to which Eleanor only offered a smile.

"Yours was quite a distinction, Daff," Eloise joined in, similar in manner to how her twin, Eleanor was regarding Daphne at the moment. "And now, two hundred young ladies have a common adversary. I wish you luck, sister."

Francesca exclaimed at Eloise about her remark, and Daphne shot them both a glance. Eleanor chose to remain silent. She didn't know quite how she felt about all of this, or how to navigate this territory. Eloise continued on, thinking herself to be absolutely right about Daphne.

"My success on the marriage mart influences all of your prospects," Daphne tried to reason.

"Not mine," Eleanor snorted out, under her breath.

Pretending as if she didn't hear, Daphne continued, "we will all need to find love one day. Indeed, a love as pure as what Mama and Papa once shared, if we are so fortunate."

"Or just a liking with any sort of fortune, given our number of siblings," added Eleanor.

"I merely hope I am able to continue such a grand tradition," said Daphne, breezing past Eleanor's commentary.

Eloise and Eleanor met eyes, knowing where this train of thought was headed, given how many times they had heard it before.

Just then, Viscountess Bridgerton entered the room, announcing that their dresses had arrived, and making way for those very dresses to be carried in. The girls, save for Eloise, rushed to their mother's side and looked on.  They giggled and touched the fabrics as Viscountess Bridgerton held up one in front of Daphne, mentioning something about the coloring, and a maid held up another in front of Eleanor to inspect. Overhearing Daphne say that after Mary Edgecombe wore a dress in a similar shade as the one Daphne was holding, Mary Edgecombe received three offers the very next day and married an earl, Eloise felt the need to interject.

"Mary Edgecombe, now the Countess of Fulton, apparently spent the last year living in a cottage hundreds of miles away from her earl," Eloise announced, "she is miserable. It says it all here."

It was the pamphlet again. Eleanor finally noticed what Eloise was pointing to and realized what she was reading from so often as of late. Frankly, for someone as opposed to entering society as Eloise was, Eleanor found it funny that her sister was so engrossed in the gossip that society produced. Still, she wondered what the pamphlet was.

"Do not tell me that is yet another scandal sheet, Eloise," Viscountess Bridgerton scolded.

Quick to respond, Eloise said "Oh, no, no, this one is different. This one lists subjects by name," and then with a bit more gravity, added "in full."

The girls were suddenly excited, with Hyacinth leaping for the scandal sheet and Viscountess Bridgerton being overcome with concern about what it may contain. Francesca grabbed the pamphlet from Eloise's hands and read the heading, questioning who Lady Whistledown was. The girls, and even their mother, did not know a Lady Whistledown and decided that it must be a pen name. While most of the ladies were caught in conversation, Daphne gained an opportunity to take the scandal sheet from Francesca and carry it away with her, the first in the group other than Eloise to actually spend time reading the contents.

"What does it say, dear?" asked Viscountess Bridgerton.

"She loathes the fact that we've been named alphabetically, oldest to youngest. Even notes that she thinks it's rather lazy of you to name the twins after the same letter. Both starting with 'El,' no less," Daphne paraphrased.

"Your father and I found it orderly."

"Lady Whistledown finds 'banality.'"

Just then Eloise jumped in, explaining how and when the papers had been distributed, noting that the entire town had received them and at this point probably read them in full, when Viscountess Bridgerton and Daphne both gasped in delight at what they had found on the page.

"Well, at least she has one thing right," the Viscountess said, "she has named Daphne as the season's Incomparable. She calls you a 'diamond of the first water.' Well, how lovely."

Eleanor could only let out a soft hum in response, and then Eloise appeared at Eleanor's shoulder, whispering "Now I bet you sat this season out too, Len."

Eleanor had been vaguely excited before, but she now thought that Eloise was quite right.