-ˋ 19

CHAPTER NINETEEN

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY TALK

. . .

By that afternoon Tiger had confirmed that she would finally be talking to Marlene, that she was ready and that it was time to let the McKinnon girl know the details about the situation. 

It was unfair to leave her in the dark about everything, she was dating Luke - or Leo - after all. She needed to know everything, which was what Tiger had been so torn over. What exactly was everything? She had debated and thought over so many things, but Tiger couldn't know what Marlene already knew and it just seemed to be a matter of whether Leo had told her anything. 

It seemed that the McKinnon girl was aware of Tiger's wishes to talk to her - it must have been passed from the four boys to one of the girls, or directly to her. Because, when Tiger approached her after their Charms lesson, she was ready to go and talk.

They settled on the only empty bench in the busy courtyard, the late September sun warming their faces, a hint of heat in the cold day. 

"So.." Tiger began, feeling incredibly awkward. The two hadn't really talked since the first day of school when everything happened. There had been the odd greeting here and there, but with Tiger sticking with James, Remus or Sirius during lessons and even sleeping in their dorm, they weren't given much chance to interact.

"I broke up with Luke.. or Leo. I don't know what to call him." Marlene said, voice quiet. "We're still speaking though, I'm just not sure on well.. everything."

"You and me both." Tiger chewed on her bottom lip, fiddling with a loose strand of thread that had been tugged out of her jumper by Treacle when she was packing. "I'm not entirely sure what you do or don't know, so do you have anything you want to say? Or ask?" She continued. 

"I just want to hear your side of the story." Marlene replied. "I've heard mangled bits of Lu.. Leo's side, and everything from Olivia for yours. But I want you to tell me, rather than other people."

"Alright." Tiger nodded, taking a deep breath and telling Marlene everything that happened at Ilvermorny - or what she thought to have happened there. Then, what Leo told her on the 1st of September which had just confused everything. 

Marlene nodded along, seemingly processing everything as she took it in. Unlike Tiger, who had taken several weeks. But their situations were very different. "So what are you planning on doing about it?" Marlene asked as soon as Tiger finished talking. 

"Do what about what?" The Howell girl replied, looking confused. 

"About Leo's death being faked by his parents - they caused so much trouble for you and your family!" Marlene seemed rather passionate about this subject, and Tiger stared with wide eyes, not expecting this. "You can't just sit by and let it happen now that you know."

"I'm not sure." Tiger said shortly, shrugging her shoulders. "Honestly, with everything going on in the world outside of Hogwarts, it doesn't seem as significant." 

"It doesn't really matter though, does it? We still have until the end of the year to be teenagers and not worry about the outside world. Hogwarts, I'm pretty sure, is quite literally the safest place you could be right now." Marlene said, and Tiger considered it.

"You're right, I suppose. I might talk to McGonagall about it - not do anything right now but just make her aware of it." Tiger nodded, and Marlene smiled. 

"If it's alright, I'd still like to talk to Leo in the way that I've been doing." Marlene spoke up. "As long as it wasn't his fault - and I think I trust that it wasn't - then I would still like to get to know him."

"That's completely fine - I'm just trying to get over the fact he's actually alive." Tiger nodded as she replied. "He essentially hasn't done anything wrong." She sighed, Marlene jumping up and pulling her along with her, linking their arms.

"The girls will be so glad we're talking again. They've missed you." Marlene was practically beaming as they walked through the hallways. 

Tiger was glad to have gotten it out of the way - it was long overdue and just needed. She didn't want to have all this drama around her, and it needed sorting out. They all had enough to worry about with the rise of Voldemort - they couldn't deal with another Olivia situation. 

Or it might end up with someone actually dying this time.