Wattpad Original
There are 7 more free parts

Chapter 7 | The Stepmother

"Do you think that I should marry him?" I ask Paul, who's styling my hair.

Fortunately, Oscar has managed to secure the deal with Adidas, and right now, I'm going to do a photoshoot at home before I can post the pictures on my Instagram as part of my paid partnership deal to promote their latest product.

Paul stops and looks at me in the mirror.

"Honey, stop thinking about what Morgan wants. I don't think you should marry that billionaire just because he controls one of the most influential news and media companies in the world." He shakes his head in disbelief before resuming his work again, styling my hair into a French braid. "Lucas Klein is gorgeous. Hell, I would marry him if I didn't have a boyfriend. But for you? No, dear. You deserve more than that. Your marriage should be more than a business deal."

I laugh from hearing that he would marry Luke because of his looks.

"Yeah. I don't understand why Morgan prefers to sacrifice my happiness instead." I sigh sadly.

Morgan wasn't always like this. In the early years after I met her for the first time, she was the most amazing human being I'd ever known.

Things changed as I grew up, and it became worse when she began throwing me into Hollywood. Since then, she's acted like I'm just her bank account, but until now, I still refused to believe that fact.

Paul tilts my chin up, a soft smile touching his lips. "Darlin', she's just blinded right now by all of your achievements. I bet she didn't expect that you would be this famous. I'm sure that deep down in her heart, you're still her precious little girl and that she never stops loving you."

My heart feels warm because of his soothing words, and I suddenly feel like I'm going to nail this photoshoot because my mood has just gotten better.

I hope that what Paul said is the truth, that he didn't just say that just for the sake of comforting me. No matter how badly Morgan treats me, I still want to believe that we haven't lost everything.

"Thanks, Paul." I smile, sighing, and he winks at me.

*

Another day has passed, and just like Oscar suggested, I spend the day relaxing in my spa at home. Balinese instrumental music fills my ear, and I feel like lying down near an exotic beach far away from all of this madness—I can even hear the sound of waves crashing against the shore—while the spa therapist massages my temple.

This feels like heaven. I wonder if I will ever have the chance to go on vacation again without reporters or photographers secretly trailing me.

Maybe it's about time to find a virgin beach on an unknown island so that nobody can find me there.

"Cassie!" Morgan's voice suddenly booms, and I snap my eyes open.

Please, not now.

Morgan barges into my spa, making me abruptly sit up.

"What the hell are you doing now? This is not the time to chill and have an aromatherapy massage," she barks, but then closes her eyes as she inhales the soothing smell.

Right. Even when she doesn't want to admit it, she knows that it does smell good.

She snaps her eyes open again, shooting me a sharp look. "Get up this instant. We're going to Italy soon. Cal Jackson is having a tour there, and we're planning to release the song you collaborated on with him on the stage. You're going to be a surprise guest there and perform your new song together."

My jaw drops. All the relaxing atmosphere suddenly vanishes, and I'm back to hell. What is she talking about? Has Oscar not made it clear to her that I'm not going to release any new single soon?