23 - budding romance

a/n: guys... this story was #3 in humor yesterday! this is my first time having such a high rank in the humor category, i'm beyond amazed. thank you so much, my characters and i love you all! back to the story—

  After their second kiss, the world seemed to shift beneath their feet.

They were already close before, but it was different now. Stronger. She was almost like a moth to his flame, and he to hers.

She noticed the way he seemed more comfortable around her, physically. He didn't mind when they sat a bit too close to each other with their legs touching and their feet tangled together. Sometimes, when she least expected it, he would reach for her hand and gently play with her fingers.

It made her heart soar, for him to be so openly affectionate with her. She knew it was foreign to him, how outlandish he might've felt at first, but she appreciated the effort.

Whenever they were alone, she would show her appreciation by stealing a kiss, which always made a smile spring onto his face. She was so addicted to his smiles, constantly yearning to see another, while he was addicted to her eyes, which always seemed to shine like a constellation in the sky.

Although they kept their kisses hidden, their budding romance was hard to disguise, especially from certain local gossipers.

Brady squinted at the customer service section as he bagged groceries absentmindedly. The customer watched his slow, distracted movements with a frown before letting out a sharp breath.

"Oh, this is why self-checkout is better! Give me that!" they huffed impatiently before grabbing the milk carton from his hands and wobbling away to the machines.

Marina, who had watched the situation transpire from afar, quickly scuttled across the store and stopped in front of him. "Okay, Brady, that's it. This has been going on for far too long. It's finally time for you to go."

"Right," Brady murmured, nodding along, as he continued staring beyond her.

"Hello? I'm firing you right now, Brady, pay attention!" Marina said, snapping her fingers in his face.

"Marina," Brady whispered, ignoring what she said, and slowly pointed behind her. She grudgingly turned around and crossed her arms, before her eyes widened in shock.

  Sawyer was speaking to a customer from behind the counter, wearing his usual friendly facade, and Ali stood behind him. Nothing out of the ordinary could be seen, but from the cashiers, they saw the truth.

  Sawyer's hands were twisted behind his back, and Ali's hand was loosely knitted with his. An impressed smile grew onto Brady's face when he saw the sociopath's other hand trail his fingers across her arm.

  "Oh, wow," Marina breathed, taken aback by the unexpected display of affection.

  Brady smirked at her. "You wish that was you, huh?"

  "What?" Marina turned to him with a scowl. "No, sociopaths aren't my type!"

  "You certainly like their fathers, though," Brady muttered under his breath as he faked a cough, and she glared at him.

  "Shut up. Just tell me what you know about them. Are they dating?"

  "I don't know anything. City girl's been radio silent," Brady shrugged as he rested his arms on the counter. She frowned, ridden with curiosity, and turned back to the couple.

Yet another pleased customer left their station while the two lovebirds tossed each other a smile. Sawyer untangled his arms from his back, then pulled her over to the chairs in the corner. They sat beside each other and began talking, keeping their hands apart, but their feet discreetly woven together.

  Brady and Marina exchanged looks.

  "Yeah, they're definitely dating," Brady said as he materialized a cotton candy lollipop, and she nodded. "I guess city people are into the loopy ones."

  Marina narrowed her eyes at Sawyer, who was gazing at Ali with a smitten smile, as she spoke. "And I guess the loopy ones have a heart too."