Chapter 5: A Brother's Duty

Anthony rode his horse through the open park with Daphne and Eleanor atop their own horses on either side of him.

"Lord Berbrooke is harmless. There will be others," he assured Daphne.

"And for me?" Eleanor asked, before smiling at a young man walking by.

Anthony nodded at him before Daphne replied, still in her own thoughts.

"Lady Whistledown has all but declared me ineligible, worthy of the affection of a detestable simpleton and no one else."

"Oh, that's not quite true, sister," offered Eleanor.

"Tell me," Daphne asked, "what others should ever want such damaged goods now?"

Anthony jumped in before Eleanor could.

"You speak as if Lady Whistledown were to be held in higher regard than Her Majesty the Queen herself."

"She may as well be," edged in Eleanor.

Continuing, Anthony said, "You give far too much credit to some anonymous scribbler. These musings, they're not true."

"Only they are true, brother, and they are true because of you."

Okay, so Daphne was going there.

"You have managed to scare every worthy suitor away. Whistledown has merely reported it."

Anthony didn't know how to respond and cast a glance back at Eleanor. Clearly on Daphne's side, she offered him little assistance.

"I am looking out for you. Both of you. I am protecting you both. It is my duty," he stated.

"And what of my duty?" asked Daphne.

Eleanor could tell by the tone of her voice what was coming. It seems even the onlookers who overheard her voice rise did as well.

"You have no idea what it is to be a woman, what it might feel like to have one's entire life reduced to a single moment. This is all we have been raised for. Eleanor and I, this... is all we are. I have no other value. If I am unable to find a husband, I shall be worthless."

Daphne paused and Anthony did not push on. It was as if both of them expected Eleanor to join in.

"And me as well," is all Eleanor stumbled through saying.

Thinking this nonsense and seeing that Eleanor did not want to be inserted into this conversation, he proceeded on addressing Daphne.

"Daphne, you're a Bridgerton."

Daphne simply scoffed, adding, "It would be easier if I were not."

When Daphne urged her horse forward, Eleanortook that as her sign to follow, and the two of them rode off, leaving Anthonyto process what had happened and trail behind.

Managing the social lives of his two eldest sisters was turning out to be harder than Anthony anticipated.