Chapter 7: Gooseberry Pie

While the night was calm outside, the dining room at Bridgerton House was full of laughter and commotion. Viscountess Bridgerton, along with all of her children – young and old – gathered around the table eating dinner with their guest, the Duke.

Anthony led the conversation, stating, "For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in Bloomsbury, of all places."

On the other end of the table, Benedict questioned, "What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury? That people there actually work for a living?"

"She does seem to be someone with access," Daphne added.

"Who knows if Whistledown is even a she?"

"Fair point."

The conversation continued to move around the table in circles.

"Because she is simply too good to be anyone but a man?" Eloise quipped.

"Well," Francesca began, "I think it rather obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury."

The table laughed, and Daphne then declared, "Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down."

Simon laughed a little but withheld comment as he turned to regard Daphne.

Hyacinth then jumped in, "Could it be Lady Featherington?"

Laughter again. A unanimous "no" rang out.

"You have yet to read what Whistledown writes of the Featheringtons, little sister," Eloise explained.

Just then, the Viscountess Bridgerton turned to the Duke.

"You must forgive this rather unruly debate, Your Grace," she said, softly, aiming it only at him.

"Nonsense, I find it entertaining."

Eleanor was seated across from him and looked properly at him when he said this. She had finally been introduced to the Duke upon his arrival this evening, where she had the chance to exchange pleasantries, but after that moment, she had heard few words leave his mouth. She supposed that it must really be a challenge, though, given how many of her siblings were gathered about and chatting amongst themselves.

"Oh!" said the Viscountess, in happy surprise.

"All of you at one table," the Duke continued as he looked around, "even the children."

"Well," the Viscountess replied, "I realize it may be unfashionable, but we like each other. Most of the time."

The Viscountess moved her attention across the table to her youngest children, who were bickering and flinging peas at each other. Simon looked forward at Eleanor, and she smiled before returning to her food.

"You should join us more often, Your Grace. Perhaps when we travel to our country seat. You would be most welcome," the Viscountess said.

Anthony must have heard this because he looked up at her from across the room.

Evidently, at this exact moment, Hyacinth had had enough of Gregory and his peas, and she slammed her fist against the table to stop him.

Daphne, seated next to the Duke but silent thus far, looked diagonally across the table at Eleanor while their mother called out to the two food-flinging children. They exchanged a glance, and neither said anything, hoping that their siblings' behavior would improve while there was a guest present.

"He does have a presence about him," noted Francesca.

Eloise looked in the Duke's direction before turning back to Francesca and responding.