Chapter 7 - Speaking His Mind

"Can you believe the nerve of that guy!?" Asher ranted as he paced back and forth in Theo's room. "He actually told me to sleep in the stables. The stables! It's not like I deserve a cot at least. Noooo, let's make the hardworking servant sleep with the horses!"

"I'm sure he didn't mean it." Theo sat on her bed, watching the angry man as he puffed his chest angrily. "If you want, you can use my bed?"

Asher paused, glancing at the soft quilts and goose down pillows. For a split second he seriously considered accepting her offer, then shook that thought from his mind knowing how inappropriate that would be. "I can't. It's your room. You don't need to give up your bed for me."

Theo sucked in her lip and shrugged. "What if we shared?"

The servant let out something between a snort and a chuckle. "As if that would happen. Do you know how bad that would look?"

"Why don't you see how soft the bed is before you decide?"

The servant once again paused in consideration. The bed certainly did look much softer than anything that he'd ever slept on. He was curious about how fluffy those pillows were too. Eventually his curiosity got the better of him and he slunk up to the side of the bed and slowly sat, quickly sinking into the layers of quilts.

Amazed by the softness, he turned and started stroking the silk cloth wondrously. "It is rather comfortable, isn't it?" 

"Indeed." Theo nodded, leaning in close to the distracted man.

Suddenly the servant leapt to his feet, causing the woman to lose her balance and faceplant the bed right where he had been sitting. "This is ridiculous. This castle is huge!" Asher barked, returning to his tantrum. "There are plenty of rooms, so sharing shouldn't be necessary! I'm going to find my own room and that's that!"

Spinning on his heel, the servant exited, leaving a frustrated Theo behind as he trudged down the halls.

Due to the sheer size of each room, he had quite a distance to walk as he poked his head in to see what lay beyond. Each guest room looked like it held some sort of theme. One room was full of crystals, with glass statuettes adorning a white stone fireplace and two sparkling chandeliers hanging above. Another room was full of red tapestries and rugs.

Both of these felt too regal for his taste, so he continued looking, feeling as though he were house shopping since each room was roughly the size of his grandparents' live-in bakery.

He eventually stumbled upon a room full of mounted animals with a moose head hung above a mantle, a bearskin rug on the floor, and various dear antlers decorating the walls. The blankets on the bed were actually layers of furs and the wallpaper was decorated with wood print.

It reminded him a little too much of the tavern where Cas and his gang liked to hang out, so he backed out and prepared to hunt down another room before hearing a frustrated noise from a few doors down. Curious, he followed it thinking that it couldn't be anything too dangerous considering who lived here.

The closer he got, the more certain he became that it was the beast and eventually he began to identify individual grunts that closely resembled swear words.

He came to a large door, larger than the other guest rooms, and put his ear to the wood where he could clearly hear a string of curses whispered angrily. There was also the sound of something scraping across the floor and things getting ripped up, so he concluded that the creature was destroying the furniture again.

Irritation had the servant banging on the door with all his might.

What reason did that beast have to be so irritated? Asher was the one who was told to sleep in the stables! The Prince was the one who had been rude and stormed off without any proper words with Theo. What right did he have to be annoyed right now?