ARC 16 : THIS LIFE~THE BEGINNING

Chapter 273: This Life—The Beginning (XIV)

TL: Rosy

The Wei family’s affairs were not going well recently, as if there was an invisible big hand manipulating them in the dark. Ever since Old Wei suffered a stroke, officials of the Wei family were suppressed or transferred in succession. It was not obvious at first. After all, they had all kinds of complicated relationships and it was normal for one or two of their footholds to be unstable. However, with the change in leadership, actions targeting the Wei family become even more frequent, practically touching the core of the Wei family’s wealth and power.

After many investigations, it appeared as if the Wei family’s political opponents were involved. Until the new chairman of the Military Commission took office, the Wei family was defeated in the competition. Conflicting views were set off, and the various forces began to fight openly and secretly. However, Wei Xun’s career has not been affected in any way. Because the research and development of intelligence attracted much attention, positive public opinion was brought to the Wei family. However, to Wei Xingye and the majority of the Wei family, Shang Ke’s existence was still like a piece of fish bone choking them.

“Keep an eye on the documents you have.” Shang Ke suddenly received this anonymous text message one day.

The so-called “documents” are naturally the materials that Shang Ke originally used to threaten Wei Xingye. Wei Xingye has never forgotten this time bomb. Although he intended to remove it, Wei Xun unwaveringly obstructed him. The technology that Shang Ke controlled was indeed very advantageous to the Wei family, but his relationship with Wei Xun will also bring an extremely negative impact on the Wei family. If Wei Xingye could choose, he would rather destroy this kind of technology and hope that the sordid relationship won’t become a stain on the Wei family.

Wei Xun’s mother Song Mizhen urged Wei Xun to get married every few days. Furthermore, she often brought Wang Qinya along by her side with the status of the daughter-in-law-to-be of the Wei family. Wang Qinya wasn’t easy to deal with either, she intentionally smeared Shang Ke’s name in private, explaining him as a gay who deliberately seduced Wei Xun. The reason why Wei Xun had a close relationship with him was mainly because he liked his intellectual abilities in the field, and Shang Ke was completely and one-sidedly sticking to him.

Most people believed this. Because Wei Xun never had any ambiguous gay relationships from childhood to adulthood, Shang Ke would be no different. He had lost both parents when he was a child, and has been living at the Qi family’s house. Qi Chen was a famous playboy. If he hadn’t had an affair with Shang Ke, with his nature, how could he be so kind to financially support a completely unrelated orphan?

In order to prove the gossip’s reliability, some busybodies posted photos of Qi Chen and Shang Ke on WeChat, not only including close photos of the two from childhood to adulthood, but also Qi Chen’s private collection of Shang Ke’s emoji pack. There were a hundred or so, and no matter who was looking, none can believe that they are just ordinary friends.

Some conspiratests sighed over Shang Ke’s excellent strategy. When desperate, he approached Qi Chen, and when rich, he looked up with Wei Xun. He really was a great player in life.

Qi Chen looked at these photos with very mixed feelings. For over ten years of getting along with him, he unexpectedly didn’t discover his affection for Shang Ke. Were it not for his memory being restored, he was afraid he would still be like a fool, on one hand, circling cheerfully around Shang Ke, and on the other, searching everywhere for his true love.

He only had to take that one step, and Shang Ke would have become his lover. With their relationship as two childhood sweethearts, and with Shang Ke’s gentle character, he would absolutely not reject his pursuit. However, as it happened, he missed his opportunity and can only look on helplessly as his easily obtained happiness was snatched away by that man!