Epilogue: Escape to Paradise

After a long trip, the children finally arrived in New York. Charlie and Mary were taken to a nearby hospital. While there, Mary felt nervous and curious at the same time. This was her first time being at a place like this. She wasn't used to people helping her. The doctor began to examine her back. Then, he smeared petroleum jelly on the cuts. With every touch, Mary groaned and yelled. It felt as if her back was on fire. Afterward, he wrapped her back and torso with gauze and bandages.

When the doctor was finished with her, she went to look for Charlie. She hoped he was okay. Mary looked through the window and saw Charlie sitting on the bed, his shoulder wrapped in bandages. She knocked on the door and went in. When Charlie saw her, he smiled. She walked over to him and hugged him.

"How are you?"

"It's just a bruise. Nothing serious. How's your back?"

"Still hurts." Mary rubs her bandaged back. She winced at the sore feeling. Being careful, Charlie pulls her close to him.

"You know, that was some beating you took on the train."

"...I know."

"But it's over...'cause we made it." He holds her close and plants a kiss on her forehead, making her smile. "We're finally made it." After the kids were discharged, they reunited with their friends and went on with their lives. Some orphans went toward Manhattan while Mary, Charlie, and some of their friends moved upstate to look for jobs.

As the years went by, a lot of things began to happen. In 1955, Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to give up her seat in Montgomery, Alabama. This later lead to the Montgomery Bus Boycott. After the boycott came the integration of the Little Rock Nine in 1957 followed by the Greensboro sit-ins in 1960. During that same time, Mary and Charlie managed to make some money to purchase a home with 30 acres of land. Their friends helped them fix any property damages inside the house. After the 1963 March on Washington, the bombing of 16th Street Baptist Church killed four girls in Birmingham, Alabama, leading to protests all over. In 1964, then-president Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act that prevents employment discrimination of race, color, sex, religion, or national origin. Because of this, Cato and Leon were able to get jobs as engineers as Mary promised.

1965 came. Malcolm X was just assassinated and the Selma to Montgomery marches were happening in Alabama. The teens watched as the whole thing unfold. 600 civil rights marchers walked from Selma to Montgomery to protest black voter suppression while police attacked and prevented them from accomplishing their goal. Martin Luther King and other civil rights leaders lead two more marches until they finally reached Montgomery on March 25. In response, President Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which got rid of literacy votes completely and allowed black people the right to vote.

In 1967, in a landmark civil rights decision, Loving v. Virginia, the court ruled that laws preventing interracial marriages violated the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the 14th Amendment in the U.S. Constitution. This allowed many interracial couples to marry, including Mary and Charlie. One day, the orphans, now adults, held a wedding for the newlyweds. Regina was the maid of honor to Mary with Akela, Jaliya, and Violet as the bridesmaids while Cato was the best man to Charlie with Leon, Nick, and Joseph as the groomsmen. After the vows were recited, they said their 'I do's and kissed. The others cheered and threw rice as they walked down the aisle. During the reception, they danced with their friends. Mary tossed her bouquet to the next person who will marry...which turned out to be Nick as he was getting cake.

As the reception went on, Mary stood to the side and watched her friends enjoy themselves. She remembered the promise that she made to them at the orphanage. Now, that promise has been fulfilled. Still, she can't seem to forget about the other black children. Ones like Amari. Even though she and her friends made it, Mary still felt like she could've done more. If only they left sooner. Suddenly, she felt Charlie wrapping his arms around her waist. "Hey."

"Hi."

He kissed the back of her head and asked: "So...is this what you had in mind?"

"Not really..." Charlie buried his eyebrows. Her friends are free and they finally get to marry. What else could Mary want? Mary smiled and turned around to where she was facing him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and replied: "...it's better than what I had in mind." Charlie smiles at her and gives her a kiss on the forehead. They're finally free. Finally together. The couple rejoined the group and continued to dance, hopeful for the future.

Back in Alabama, the orphanage was torn down and made into a school after the fire consumed most of the building. The tunnel still remained in the ground, vacant and empty. A fresh patch of grass covered the opening by the train tracks. Will anyone discover the tunnel? The answer's simple: no, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. It might take a year, or two. Or twelve. Maybe, a decade. Who knows? One clear thing is the only way it will be discovered is if someone knew the story of those who went through it.