Chapter Nineteen: Questions Unanswered

And before either any of them could respond to the Queen of Heart's query—a series of knockings could be heard.

The very front door.

It was such a disruptive sound that tore through the atmosphere. And it didn't stop one bit.

"W-Who could that be?!" Harold asked, shuddering at the very place he stood. He glanced beyond their room, his color turning pale at the thought.

Mallory tsked her lips, although even she seemed a little disturbed. "Probably some random folk or a miserable lout that forgot his keys to their room. I'll get it." Shrugging off the man's latching to her shoulders, she proceeded to head towards the hallway.

"Ah, let me do it Mal~ I'll redirect them to you if things are truly safe." Nicholas Hatter beat his friend's to the hallway, a grin on his face as he held the doorknob. "If not, I'll let you know if the situation is dreary."

The woman glared at him, "And how'd ye gonna do that if they capture y' too fast?"

"I have my ways, but better keep this door shut at the least." And then the man was gone, the door closing behind him.

It happened far too quickly than Rosalyn Lockhart was used to, then and there the decisions were made. Pieces already moved their way on the board. She stared at the closed door before turning to the woman and man.

A loud sigh would escape the smaller woman, "A mad man if I ever see one. That man will be the death of me." Mallory spat.

"W-What? How?" Harold shook behind her, still completely wary of the Queen's lingering presence. "It could be Her Majesty that could kill us!"

The woman blinked and rubbed her face, a small smile forming on her lips. "If this man doesn't kill me first." She shook her head, "Your Majesty, we may need to evacuate you right now."

It hadn't even been too long but they were doing this?

.

.

.

What could a Nicholas Hatter do in a very narrow hallway if things turned out to be as bad as he feared? Well, there were a few shelves, tables and ornaments scattered around that his good friends could probably do some replacing with.

"Yes, yes—they ought to refurbish this." He eyed the old painting and frames. He could do them a favor and smash it through a certain person's head.

The porcelain vase could use a little cleaning as well.

The knockings didn't cease at all.

But with his enrapturement with all the bits and bots that his friends had chosen for their decoration, well the Mad Hatter could have paid attention to them all day long.

"Ah, well, I better open the door." He cleared his throat and eyed the visibly shaking wood. He scoured through his pockets while he stepped towards the door.

He had something of use in here.

"A moment please," Nicholas Hatter fumbled for the doorknob and turned it open...

. . .

Amethyst eyes locked on the young woman's blue eyes. They were a pitiful sight as the blonde woman trembled on the kitchen's floor.

He narrowed his gaze once more, "Let me repeat myself, where is Her Majesty? She last came here but as far as I can see, she is nowhere to be found." He tried not to frown even further at that thought.

Where could she possibly be?

"I-I do not know Sir Ginellevé!" Her voice shook as she kept herself on the ground. "Her Majesty left after she had finished with her lunch!"

Julius Ginellevé kept his face blank, trying to keep his composure as his gaze swept over the entire kitchen. Of course the woman would do the exact opposite of his request to stay within her chambers... but where did she really go now?

He could still see the leftover tarts on the table along with a glass of lemonade. So she really did come here, he had wasted his time visiting the Royal Kitchen.

And now he only came upon this maiden.

A clueless one at that.

"Can you not remember what Her Majesty had said? The slightest of hints where she could have gone to?" He tried to be more patient. It would do no good to scare the only source of information.

He fought back the urge to reach for his sword's hilt.

She paused for a moment, the young woman's brows furrowed. "Her Majesty and I were talking—she had been questioning me about friends." She corrected herself and kept her gaze to the floor. "I believe Her Majesty had decided to go out and make friends."

Friends?

Rosalyn Lockhart would go out to make friends?

He nearly laughed aloud and was ready to pull out his blade for lies...except they seemed serious. Or rather the young woman was shaking too much in fear to even consider to tell the untruths.

Julius Ginellevé paused.

Did she even need anybody else except for him? It was the exact opposite of what he had said earlier to her in relation to His Majesty, but it was what he felt right now. Was he not enough?

Who else could provide the friendship that she desired?

He shook his head and left the servant's kitchen. It didn't matter what he thought—what was important now was that he found her.

. . .

Back in the Gazebo of Dreams, if there were any upset person then it would be them. As soon as the King and Queen of Hearts had disappeared, their face contorted into a displeased one.

"T-That necklace! Do they not know how precious that had been?" They raged. "Dropping it into the lake? Were they serious?!"

Another simply laughed, "If it were that precious, why would you even present it to the Queen of Hearts? Are you trying to curry favor of some sort?"

"Ah, where's that Prime Minister of theirs? Shouldn't they be here by now?" The third one retorted with a shake of their head. "Ugh such bad service here."

"Of course not, watch your tongue. Or else some other Queen might think of something else." The first one snapped. "It doesn't matter. I'll make sure that someone pays for this insult."

"Ah, Your Majesty. May I be so bold to ask how could one possibly pay for it?"