46 ♔ A Villainess In Red

On the same day, hundreds of messenger birds were sent throughout the empire with the urgent summons from the emperor. The canceled assembly was rescheduled, held almost two weeks later, with more people than intended, called far and wide throughout the empire. The head nobles, the officials, and guild leaders attended. The great hall of the Ruby Palace, which was rarely filled except for the quarterly assembly, was filled.

Xander faced the circular elevated seats of the vassals, sitting a podium lower below him, was Ysivan. Diana, sat at the center, directly facing the emperor, her back against the vassals. Just a little to her right, sat Therese as the Duchess of Hearth and the Minister of Culture.

There has been a debate ever since Ysivan announced the Levichian confession and Sid's compensation, minus the details about Diana as a bargaining chip. The two weeks for a decision were almost up as the Levichian ship was still docked at the pier, waiting for an answer.

The room was divided into three factions. One, those who have strong pride, mostly older nobles that refused to forgive the Levichian's for attempting an attack on the imperial grounds. Two, those who wished to mend the relationship between empires, from the Ministers of Trade and the associating guilds, including the Ministry of Finance. Aside from a wider trade scope and financial gains, they also voiced additional demands to Levich to help install minor magic transport gates all over the empire.

"It might not be as huge a Medakaz Gate owned by Norvillon Duchy, but minor gates could fasten our internal trades and communication!" Viscount Mithwell, the port master, reasoned to the crowd. "We must take advantage of this chance and demand Levichian mages for assistance!"

The third group, a few, contemplated in silence, including Duchess Therese and the War Council who were only waiting for the emperor's opinion.

One man spoke after another, acknowledged by Ysivan himself. It would also reach a point of raised voices and fierce rebuttals. Everyone freely expressed themselves, despite the presence of the emperor who was known to wield the authority and love of the people in autonomy. But he let them be and his eyes never left Diana.

The latter, remained quiet in her seat, with both hands clasped. She appeared calm, but in truth, she was scared. More than anything, she was confused as well.

It couldn't be.

Er'uno Sid would never abandon her and Alec. Much more, Diana was used as a bargaining chip. Although she is a competent hand of the Levichian emperor, she is replaceable. There are other competent people in Levich as well.

But...

She gripped the ring Sid had slipped on her finger before. The other half of Sid's earrings were also given to her, now hidden in her belongings.

Although it was not officially announced, she held the symbols of Levich's Imperial Concubine.

Why?

She could not answer the same question the plagued her ever since.

"Lady Diana Alcotta, you may speak as the envoy of Levich," Ysivan announced.

From her clasped hands, Diana looked up and met Xander's gaze. She stood, bowed to the emperor, and turned to face more than a hundred vassals scrutinizing her every move.

"You are the former fiancee of His Imperial Majesty. How can we assure that it is not a scheme of Levich to use the past relationship to spy nor threaten Gran Dacchia nor His Majesty?" one noble asked.