47 ♛ Ak Bu'hir

Before you read, this is a cutlass.

© Smiffys Pirate Cutlass Black

Happy reading!

~Ellena Odde

The clip-clops of the horses could be faintly heard from inside the carriage. Along with it, windows and doors creaked shut as the day ended. As the night crept into the capital, except for the liveliest part of the city's center for entertainment, the Peduha Slums.

Despite the name, it has been swept clean, at least on the surface. It has been believed that the emperor also used unclean methods, even nowadays. But his avid followers never condemned him for such methods of ruling and believed that the chaos below balances the peace above.

Although Diana was very much interested in the new Peduha Slums, with its brothels of consenting women, gambling houses, theaters, bars, and more, she was riding a carriage opposite from its direction.

It was the ninth of the evening and she was going to the port for a farewell. Diana covered the coat pocket where she put the letter. She might not be able to explain everything to Sid personally, but the letter will do. Before word from Levichian spies if there's any, reach the monarch's ears, Diana must explain that everything was lies.

She had no thoughts of betraying her home country. The lies she staged with Xander in the assembly were all done for a comfortable stay in Gran Dacchia as an envoy. Most of all, it would be easier for Alec, whom she must also keep hidden.

"Nervous?"

From the window view of cobbled roads and street lamps, Diana turned to Xander, sitting in front of her. It would have been impossible for her to be with the same carriage unlike before, but with the current situation, it wouldn't be far out of reach.

She'd do her job dutifully, but their paths might cross a few times. Such chances scared her.

"No, I'm not, Your Majesty," she calmly replied.

If emotions were seeping out of her face, Xander didn't comment anymore until they reached port.

The head of the escorting knights opened the door. Xander exited first and offered his hand. She accepted it, knowing that it was an honor and burden to be assisted by the emperor with all the witnesses. It's also an offense to decline him. But more importantly, there was no need to refuse. It was just so natural to take his hand now, despite the lingering warnings in her head.

They met with the messengers right at the bottom of the stair planks of the Levichian ship. After the formalities, Xander personally told Gran Dacchia's stand on accepting Levich's offer of repentance. He also personally handed the document that relayed the same thought. Diana handed her letter as well.