CAPITOLO CINQUANTASEI- Boundaries

"Just 'cus I love you and you love me, it doesn't mean that we're meant to be." -Jazmine Sullivan

Negril, Jamaica📍
9:30 am
May 4th '19

It was a sunny Saturday morning in the tropical isle of Jamaica and though the atmosphere was warm and bright, the mood around the Anderson household was slightly opposite. After almost a two week delay, It was finally Maria's last day in Negril and though her suitcases were all packed and waiting by the door, Maria was held up on the porch by her family because none of them wanted her to go.

"Momma, c'mon, just stay here." Chris pouts as he holds on to his mother's hand. "You know you're gonna miss me so I don't see why you setting yourself up for that kinda heartache."

Maria laughs as she pulls her son into a warm hug. "I will miss you baby but nothing you say or do will convince me to stay. I love you all very much but I've already stayed longer than planned and like I've I been told y'all, I have business to handle with Aunty Lola back in Kingston."

"This feels like child abuse." Chris grumbles, pulling away from his mother's embrace as she chuckles.

"Right, I should just call the police." Michael chimes, coming up beside them, "You know Mrs Anderson, there's laws against leaving your children alone."

"Yes, I am aware." Maria's eyes twinkle with amusement as she looks up at her eldest son, "But I am also aware of that law being applicable only if the child is under the age of 18. Last time I checked, all of y'all are grown."

"Except for Cici." Michael says smartly, "Ain't that right, baby girl?"

"Yes, Nana I'm only 4 so you can't go! I don't want you to go to jail!" Cienna voices with her eyes wide with panic.

Maria throws Michael a subtle look before scooping Cienna up into her arms, "Calm down baby, you don't have to worry bout Nana going to jail and you wanna know why?"

"Mhm," Cienna looks into her grandmother's warm eyes with her sad doe ones.

"Because you have both of your parents, your uncle and your aunties to look after you." Maria smiles and kisses her cheek.

"Okay," Cienna sighs, "But Nana, even though you won't go to jail for leaving, I still I don't want you to go." She protests softly with a quivering bottom lip: a clear sign that the waterworks were about to begin.

Maria's face softens at the sight.

"Oh my baby." She coos as she picks up Cienna who couldn't hold in her tears any longer. "Aww, don't cry sugar plum, I'm not going away forever. I'll be back to spend a weekend with you every month."

Swiftly, Maria wipes the tears that were spilling from Cienna's eyes and plants warm kisses on her cheek for further comfort but neither actions were enough to console the sad little girl. Eventually, Rheah had to pry Cienna off of her grandmother but even she couldn't deny the feeling of wanting to hold onto Ms Maria and soil her blouse in tears herself until she changed her mind.

The reality of her departure was drawing closer by the second, causing Rheah's apprehensions about being left alone with the Anderson children to grow even further. For now, the brothers and Janaé were behaving themselves, but who knew if things would continue to stay the same once Maria left and how long the 'peace' would last?