Chapter 40 - We do have a choice, we just don't get to act on it, yet

To the girl who reads by flashlight, who see dragons in the clouds, who feels most alive in worlds that never were, who knows magic is real, who dreams. This is for you.

- Meagan Spooner

I always thought of the train ride back home as quite nostalgic. I always spent it looking at the passing landscapes, thinking over the past academic year. And this year I had a lot to think about.

I shared my compartment with Daphne and Tracey. I would see Draco over the summer, but I wasn't quite sure if I could invite my friends over this time around. I hadn't really thought about the summer and what would happen. Things would be different, my father had said, but to what extent I didn't know.

I had seen a little snippet of what was to come in the newspaper though. Death Eaters had invaded the Ministry, Potter had been there obviously, and Sirius Black had been murdered.

The newspapers were very vague about it all, but I would surely get the details at home. I just hoped my father hadn't been there, as one of them.

The O.W.L.'s had been quite great. I didn't know my results yet, as they'd be mailed in somewhere next week, but there hadn't really been an exam I had struggled with.

"Look, we're in London", Daphne grinned as the train rolled into the tunnel. This was it.

"Ladies, I'll miss you terribly these next two months", I said and pulled the two into a hug.

"Don't get sappy on me now, Lea", Tracey complained. "Or I might just start crying." I chuckled, pulling away and smiling at them sadly. It was always weird to go back home. Hogwarts felt more like a home to me than Selwyn Keep, but although the summer would sure be eventful, I had Draco on my side this time.

We stood up and made our way to the nearest exit as we neared King's Cross station. I saw Draco already waiting in the hallway, sticking out like a sore thumb between the first- and second-years with his white-blonde hair and height.

Things had been very much the same these past two weeks. We were both very busy with the exams, so we didn't get to spend that much time together and we didn't have patrol either during the exam weeks, so our conversation was limited. But I did speak to him occasionally before going to bed, sneaking in a kiss here and there when no one was around.

"Hi", I smiled as I joined him at one of the exits. Crabbe was bickering with Goyle about a game of rock-paper-scissors.

"Hey", he mumbled, his look a little distant. And then King's Cross came into view.

"What are we going to tell our parents?" I asked. I hadn't really thought about that much.

"What do you mean?"

"Well if we tell them about the recent developments, our mothers will start planning the wedding, but if we don't, there's no way we're going to get a minute of time alone", I shrugged. I really hoped he didn't want to hide this from his parents. I could not survive the upcoming summer without emotional support.

"I guess I'll have to tell her then, but I'll make sure she stays calm", he said, avoiding eye contact. I smiled slightly, shortly giving his hand a squeeze.

And then the doors slid open.

I hugged Tracey and Daphne goodbye one last time before splitting ways. Fifth year was officially over.

I spotted my mother in the far back, next to Narcissa. And then I noticed the oddity. My father wasn't on the platform, and neither was Draco's. I swiftly exchanged a look with Draco, but his face read the same expression. Something was terribly wrong.